How to make a home made cage? [Archive] - Rat Forum

: How to make a home made cage?

Rodent
05-04-2009, 07:14 PM
SO my mom said if I can find a way that cheap and easy to make a rat cage that I can.

How can I make a home made cage that is multi-level, large, easy to clean, and has a lot of open space for toys and hammocks etc.

madonnaswimmer
05-04-2009, 11:19 PM
I don't know, I decided the $75 cage at PetSmart was cheap compared to the amount of time, effort, and frustration I would have making one myself.

Lynxie
05-06-2009, 02:09 AM
I've been helping my friend Libby build a cage by taking smaller cages and combining them. Like, so far, we have a small-ish bird cage (cause one of her rats loves to climb and perch), a guinea pig cage, and a big, wire rabbit cage that we built levels into. Right now just the guinea pig cage and the bird cage are connected, but once she buys a new bag of bedding and we scrub the bottom of the rabbit cage, we're gonna connect them too. The rabbit cage we got for free off of freecycle, the guinea pig cage I had lying around from when I had guinea pigs, and Libby had the bird cage.

3pidemic
05-06-2009, 06:08 PM
I've been helping my friend Libby build a cage by taking smaller cages and combining them. Like, so far, we have a small-ish bird cage (cause one of her rats loves to climb and perch), a guinea pig cage, and a big, wire rabbit cage that we built levels into. Right now just the guinea pig cage and the bird cage are connected, but once she buys a new bag of bedding and we scrub the bottom of the rabbit cage, we're gonna connect them too. The rabbit cage we got for free off of freecycle, the guinea pig cage I had lying around from when I had guinea pigs, and Libby had the bird cage.

Yeah, I think we haven't spent any money on the actual cage itself and the only frustrating part has been cutting any wire that needs to be cut. It's not the prettiest thing in the world and it'll probably just keep getting uglier, but it works. I don't think my babies care if their cage is ugly as long as it's big and they have fun playing in it. It'll probably get finished up later this week. I can always post pictures of it and show you when it's done.

Ky_Zack
05-06-2009, 07:59 PM
I used an old tv stand and meshed it in with "rabbit wire" bought at a hardware store. BUT... between buying the tools to work on it and the components to go in it, in the long run, i probably could have gotten a critter nation. My biggest concern is that I'm going to have to abandon it because of smell and buy one anyway.