Rat Eating Poop, Essential?
RatForum.com is the premier Rat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rat Eating Poop, Essential?

Default Rat Eating Poop, Essential?

I recently noticed one of my rats eating poop and tried my hardest to stop her. After failing to do so and being disgusted, I went to the internet and found that coprophagy (eating your own poop) is essential to rats. Someone even said that not allowing them to eat their own feces can cause them health problems and ultimately die because it provides nutrients along with beneficial bacteria. Whatever the case is, I am litter training them in a litter pan that has a lid which makes their poop slide through the bars into the litter. The product is called All Living Things Deluxe Scatterless Litter Pan for Rabbits & Ferrets and I used it because some rat owners on youtube recommended it to me. So the question is, what is the best litter pan for rats (corner one preferred) and is it recommended not to have a lid?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Rat Forum
    Advertisements

I've read that they do this for health reasons, but I have never seen my rats do it. And I hope to keep it that way (since they 'kiss' me). They seem pretty disgusted by their feces. This is the opposite that I saw with hamsters - I once witnessed one of my Syrians pull a piece out of his butt and devour it! Yuck!

Never seen an of mine do it either (never heard of rats doin it before, however it doesn't surprise me. Quite a few mammals do it, including elephants... Like Daniel... Mine kiss me, so hopefully they don't do it on the sly xxxxxx

Blog Entries

I have read that rats actually eat crap right from their own butts. It apparently is a part of good digestive health for them. I have yet to see it though.
    The more people I meet, the more I like my rats.
    Current Mischief: Zelda, Blanch, Jet
    RIP: Miss Spotty, Fuzzy Butt, Yoshi (mommy rattie).

I would get a snap on litter pan that goes in the corner, the grate isn't necessary. What is their diet? Often times eating poo IS normal, but can be resolved by a nutritionally complete diet.
    My rats haven't ate their poop, but they do sometimes like to sniff it (even as it is exiting) :/

For now I'll keep this litter pan. My rats are fed lab pellets and occasionally fruits and vegetables. I'm just very confused cause some people say this should be required while others say they never had their rat eat their own poop before.

It is relatively normal. From my understanding, the way their digestive track is set up food can go through without all the nutrients being absorbed. They then eat these coprolites (I believe that's the name) to try and get that back.

Keep in mind every one of us rat owners doesn't have the privilege to watch our rats 24/7. It may very well be the case that all of our rats are eating their crap and then licking our faces haha. It's not that bad, though.

Quote Originally Posted by nanashi7 View Post
    Keep in mind every one of us rat owners doesn't have the privilege to watch our rats 24/7. It may very well be the case that all of our rats are eating their crap and then licking our faces haha. It's not that bad, though.
    Possibly, so you think I should get one without the lid? Any particular product name that'll be best for rats because I'm beginning to think that the one for ferrets and rabbits is too big with the dimensions of 9.5"L x 14"W x 7"H. I know the lid increases the chance of bumble foot and I don't think they like the idea that the pan is so big and high up. However without the lid I'm afraid that they'll eat the litter (is it toxic?), bring it to their homes, or make the litter pan all messy.
    Last edited by Trenix; 08-30-2013 at 11:28 AM.

Won't it just remove from yours?

It's up to you. The big plus of scatterless is that they can't mistake it for a dig box, like mine decided to do.

+ Reply to Thread