Rat Vacation Guide - Page 2
RatForum.com is the premier Rat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rat Vacation Guide

Super Moderator cagedbirdsinging's Avatar

Anything more than a weekend (two days, two nights) warrants a sitter, in my opinion. Too many things can go wrong that need to be solved within 24 hours.

Ivan, Isaak, Henrik, Ulrik, and Asa's mama!
    "Are not five sparrows sold for two farthings? And yet not one of them is forgotten by God." - Luke 12:6
    Rest well, sweet girls. Penelope, Paisley, Willow, and Ivy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Rat Forum
    Advertisements

As long as they don't run out of food. But I would ask someone just pop in for five minutes just to make sure they are ok. Because if something happens and you are out for a few days when you come back there was nothing you could have done.

Me and my wife are discussing taking a 2 week vacation to Europe next year. I have some reservations about leaving our boys alone that long though. My Sister lives across the street and would check in on them for me, but they're use to having 2+ hours of free range time every morning and every evening. She wouldn't be able to do that. I also worry that one of them will pass while we're away. That will be right about the 2 year mark for all of my boys and if one of them dies while I'm away I'm not sure how I'd handle it. It really makes me reluctant to try and plan such a long trip.

Anyone here done a long trip like that? What did you do with your ratties while you were away?
    Rats: Buddy, Tempy, Zeek, Nibbler, Diggles and Ollie

Super Moderator cagedbirdsinging's Avatar

They'll be fine without free range time for that long. As long as someone can check in and be sure their basic needs are met, you're good to go enjoy your vacation.

Ivan, Isaak, Henrik, Ulrik, and Asa's mama!
    "Are not five sparrows sold for two farthings? And yet not one of them is forgotten by God." - Luke 12:6
    Rest well, sweet girls. Penelope, Paisley, Willow, and Ivy.

Blog Entries

This is a kind of old thread, but does anyone know how to take your rats on vacation? I've got a temporary cage and such, but I was just wondering if there's anything special I'd need to do, like have extra hammocks/cages or whatever just in case.

Pink Eeper

I'm also interested in knowing how to take rat babies on vacation with you with the most success. Does anyone have any tips or tricks?
    In loving memory of: Seymour, Bailey, Layla, and Sophie.

Quote Originally Posted by MomToRats View Post
    would my rats be ok for 3 or 4 days without a sitter? as long as I left them lots of food and 2 water bottles? thinking of going some where this summer just a summer break for a few days ?
    The max I will leave my rats is 2, maybe tops 3, days but I think 4 is too long. Even with all the food and water there cage would become dirty and the ammonia itself would bother them. Plus if something happened you might get home too late to be able to help... In my opinion, the very least you should do is have someone come in and tidy the cage as well as check on them every 2 days.

+ Reply to Thread