Rat Forum banner

tamming

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Nazarath 
#1 ·
i have had my rats for 3 weeks now and they still wont come to me and play and junk :(

i was wondering what the best way to tame them?

i spend 20 min each day with one and then the other.

and they still don't seem to like me :(

they are always hiding in there box i made for them

i have 2 cats that are always at the cage i am wondering if that could be part of the problem

any suggestions would be great

thanx

#3 ·
I've also had my rats for 3 weeks! I'd say just socialize with them as often as you can. I take mine out and let them crawl in my sweatshirt as I study or I "ratproof" my room and let them roam about as I supervise. Mine can come to me too when I call their names. Just teach them that everytime they hear their name they get a treat, and as soon as you have this association set up, they will scurry to you as soon as they hear you call them! Mine even know when I come home as they immediately emerge from their little hut and are waiting by the door. It's so cute!

#4 ·
Just pet and hold them as much as you can and give them lots of treats when they're with you. That always works for me even with a scared rat I just met.

#5 ·
While you have them out i would make sure the cat isn't around so if they are scared they know that when they are with you they are safe. What i did with my guys was i would open thier cage door and just sit by it and talk to them. Try to get them to take treats from you so they know that they get good things when you come around. If they wont take it from you hand, try to place it in front of them or in their food dish and soon they will take it from you. Place your hand near the opening of the cage and let them smell you. My boy was out in one day and my other little girl took about 5 days. If they do come out onto your hand just keep you hand still and talk to them for the first 2 or 3 times till they know they don't have to be scared. Then soon once they are on your hand just pull away and hold them for 20 minutes like you have been doing. Always to the treats every other time you open the cage. Now all my babies are out their cages before i even have to door open lol. Let me know if anything doesn't work i had some other ideas that worked with other rats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.