Rat Forum banner

Ratter Chatter

12K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Stephanie 
#1 ·
I have 2 male unneutered rats that I adopted earlier this month. Both have been to the vet and are healthy.

The thing is, every so often, my rats will chatter. The hooded one, Ichigo, will do it more than the albino, Sesshoumaru, but both will do it on occasion. At first I thought it was him grinding his teeth, but then I noticed it was going in-tune with his breathing. Then I was worried it was a myco infection, but the chatter goes on and off (plus the vet deemed him healthy about a week ago).

I think he does it more when he is excited. For instance, when I introduced a family member to the cage, he was at the front of the cage, sniffing and chattering. Or sometimes when the two rats tumble around, he will do it.

What is this noise, and what is the trigger? Is it fear, or is it just excitement? Should I be concerned? Any help is appreciated.

#3 ·
renay said:
Just because the vet deemed him healthy doesn't infact mean that he was, hence the 2-3 week quarantine period, an infection or disease can go undetected, and be incubating in a rat for anywhere around 2 or 3 weeks.
But I also determined it's not an infection as there are no symptoms, and also because there are times where he will be just as riled up about something (running around the cage with his buddy, for example) but he doesn't make the noise (aka, it comes and goes). It's clearly a voluntary noise. It sounds kind of like wimpering.... sorry that wasn't clear.

#5 ·
Have you heard of Bruxing? Maybe it is that?

It is akin to purring in a cat. Sounds very different, but generally represents happiness or extreme emotional feeling (cats purr when they're in pain, for example).

Sometimes, their cheeks will puff in and out and their eyes and ears will wiggle. It really is very cute...

#6 ·
Sparker said:
Have you heard of Bruxing? Maybe it is that?

It is akin to purring in a cat. Sounds very different, but generally represents happiness or extreme emotional feeling (cats purr when they're in pain, for example).

Sometimes, their cheeks will puff in and out and their eyes and ears will wiggle. It really is very cute...
Said it wasn't grinding teeth, so not bruxing.

#7 ·
I asked because when my rats brux, it sounds like chattering from across the room. Thought it was worth a try. :)

#8 ·
madonnaswimmer said:
At first I thought it was him grinding his teeth, but then I noticed it was going in-tune with his breathing.
Somehow I missed this part... sorry. :oops:

#9 ·
Sparker said:
madonnaswimmer said:
At first I thought it was him grinding his teeth, but then I noticed it was going in-tune with his breathing.
Somehow I missed this part... sorry. :oops:
no, that's quite alright. On a side note, is bruxing exactly the same as teeth grinding, then? I haven't ever heard of this before.

Thanks, also, for all the help!

#11 ·
It is also, by the way, my favorite sound in the world. Melon (my oldest) will chatter, brux, and boggle fairly often and it makes my day. :-D

#15 ·
madonnaswimmer said:
But I also determined it's not an infection as there are no symptoms, and also because there are times where he will be just as riled up about something (running around the cage with his buddy, for example) but he doesn't make the noise (aka, it comes and goes). It's clearly a voluntary noise. It sounds kind of like wimpering.... sorry that wasn't clear.
Many virus's don't show symptoms until it is way too late.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.