So you wanna run a rat rescue... - Page 2
RatForum.com is the premier Rat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: So you wanna run a rat rescue...

Default Re: So you wanna run a rat rescue...

Speaking of non-profit status, we're hoping to start the process soon! Smile I'm excited.
    hey that is exciting! Congrats! Ultimately if I even decide to run a rescue it won't be until I am settled in life (house, career, money, etc.) and it will be small. Perhaps only 10-15 spaces? I might begin to put money away specifically for a rescue but it would ideally be no less than $5000. I had $400 in vet bills for three of my ratties last month, so that has given me only a small idea of the cost it would be to care for any new animal.

I guess the only problem with trying to have a small rescue is sticking to a number you can handle. Perhaps in the future I am able to care for 10 rescue ratties how would I actually be able to turn rats away? Again it all seems too complicated especially at this point in my life.

I can't remember if I asked this already but how old were you when you started your rescue?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Rat Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks!

If you can keep yourself from wanting to save "all" (which isn't easy), and you can be strict with yourself, AND you can say no to others (and not feel responsible for what may happen), the sticking to a small number is a great idea. I'll admit, we sometimes have more than I wanted to have... But as long as I can, "get 'em in, get 'em out" (so to speak), then I allow a bit of padding in terms of numbers. I don't have problems saying we have no room, though, when we don't. I thought I would, but nope. And, of course, room depends on quarantines homes as well. If there's no quarantine home, then no ratties can come in. Vital, very very vital to stick to this.

27. We started early 2007, so we'll be coming up on our year anniversary soon.
    Rattie Love Rescue
    <br />Website - Petfinder - Gift Shop

I know I am new to this, but how could people be so horrid to an innocent, defenceless creature? My daughter is going to open a rescue for all animals in South Seattle where we live and has started networking and beginning to get the word out that it will be here. She has contacted ASPCA to find out what needs to be done so that this will be something viable. She is only 10. She totally understands and has more compassion and caring than anybody else I know. When she read this thread, she wanted to focus her early rescues to rats in need. I am self employed as a photographer so it is easy for me to assist and we are financially secure. Also, we have the advice of our local vet, who also loves rats. This whole thread has been very educational and I hope to soon anounce that we will open a rescue for ratties. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR BEING HERE!!! :wink:
    "Until he extends the circle of compassion to include all creatures, man himself will not find peace." --Albert Schweitzer

5. Remove Advertisements
    Rat Forum
    Advertisements

Aww, thanks. I wish you luck!

Here's a good indicator of a rescue our size, and how much it costs to run a month. This is averaged from Oct-Dec (2007). Since our vet fund had already been wiped out from sick rats (they keep coming!), most of this IS out of pocket. As I've said, you need to expect as much. Keep in mind that costs will vary depending on location, where you get supplies and such, etc.

Our vet costs have run high because of so many sickies, but you DO have to expect that.

Food
    $50 Lab blocks (we go through 25# every two weeks)
    $40 Fresh foods
    $30 Baby food
    $25 Treats

Bedding
    $10

This is with us using ONLY towels and fleece, btw. Now that we're more stocked up, it's not so bad. That said, our water bill has gone up since doing this, so that's something to keep in mind.

Vet
    $650

That's with our discount [50% off visit cost (when they even charge it), 33% off everything else, including meds and surgeries]. Every vet is different in what they'll do for rescues/shelters. Our vet, which is well-priced for the area (though we do drive 20 minutes to get there) is good to us.

Toys
    $120

Being rodents, of course they go through a lot of chew toys. We like to keep wood toys, plastic re-washable toys, and we save a lot of cardboard boxes. Still, though, the toys aren't cheap, even though we try and get things donated or second-hand, when possible (except wood toys... we prefer to get them unused for sanitary purposes).

Cages
    $0

Right now, we're okay (though we could use bigger ones).

Transport
    $300+ in gas, depending on what's up for the month and if any longer trips are involved. This is estimated-ish. This includes all travel to and from the vet, picking up rats, taking rats to quarantine/foster homes, doing the first leg in rat trains, meeting up with adopters, etc.

And now, for what came in...

Money incoming
    $50 Adoption fees
    $0 Surrender fees
    $30 Additional donations
    $125 Fundraising

That's pretty high for us, btw. We generally, many months, only see the results of the adoption fees. We don't require a surrender fee, though we've considered it. 1 out of 5 surrenders donate, and it's maybe $10+

And so, what's the total (costs, minus incoming)?
    $1,020 a month to run a rescue our size in our area, which is, on average, 20-35 rats.

$12,240 a year. And again, we a small rescue.
    Rattie Love Rescue

That really doesn't sound that bad. We have been doing a lot of research and it seems that a shelter here would be well recieved. Maybe, if we play this correctly, we could start with "pocket pets" and then move on to all pets. That would be a slow start to build up "reputation" to the community and give us a good indicator about the big shelter. I know my daughter would want to open a rat sanctuary anyway. Thanks again for the info!!!
    "Until he extends the circle of compassion to include all creatures, man himself will not find peace." --Albert Schweitzer

Hey guys! Once we get our not for profit paperwork finished, we will be endorsed by our local humane society. One of thier inspectors will come out and inspect our space and then again when we get the storefront, and then we can add W-SPCA to our "advertisments". Also, we are planning on holding a "pet" show in the late spring early summer to help raise awareness and donations for us and the Humane Society. I have all sorts donated prizes and information packets and stuff to give out. It is amazing just how needed this was in our area and just how incredable our community really is. Turfle and Tucka go everywhere with us on our shoulder and are our spokes-rats on the importance of proper care and a place to take them if you can not give them what they need. If you can do a rescue, I totally recommend researching the area first, make sure you have what it takes to do so monitarily and time, and a vet willing to work with your rescue and who knows what the little guys need. I am blessed that I came to this forum, with all you wonderful and intellegent caring people who gave me the boost and outline of how to do it. I can't thank you enough, all of you, for helping us.

I have a rescue and it is a never ending cage cleaning story. I have 87 rats, 4 degus and 2 ferrets. I also have 23 raties in foster care. I know the time and the money needed to run this. I do not breed only rescue. I have no litters created here but lots of pet store surprises come my way and people thinking that they would like to try to breed among other reason including not knowing your not suppose to put males and females together. It is a big job when your one of the very few to do this around my reagent. I need some rat adopted out but most people I know have as many as they can handle. Clark
    Angel's Heart Rat Rescue
    <br />There are no bad raties only ones in greater need of time and love.

Wow, this is great! I've been looking for information on running a pet rescue for quite a while now!

Firstly, how do you start? I mean, what do you have to do to be officially known as a rescue? Do you just start advertising it, and call yourself one, or is there something you have to do with government papers or something? I guess I'm really lost when it comes to starting.

We already take in rodents that are in need of homes, but we have trouble adopting them out because no one knows that we're here!

I've planned on creating a website featuring all of our adoption animals and such, but how do you get on Petfinder?

What kind of questions and information do you generally put on adoption forms?

Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated!!

Oops, just noticed your reply!

You basically just "start"... You can obtain 501(c)3 status (assuming you're in the states), but most wait, as it's not cheap to do. We're just getting started on that, ourselves. You should check with local laws, make sure there's nothing you need a permit for (I doubt it, but I checked anyway - everywhere is different).

Getting on Petfinder isn't as difficult as many think! Unless they've changed things in the last year, you fill the form out, send them your adoption contract, and have your vet send (or fax) then a letter stating they do see your animals (must be on their letterhead), and that's really about it. They'll contact you, talk to you for awhile, ask questions, and then you're approved. Again, this was almost a year ago that we got on Petfinder, so it may or may not have changed.

I'm going to put our forms online, actually, so I'll link them when they're up.

Any questions, please ask!
    Rattie Love Rescue

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmiekins
    Oops, just noticed your reply!

You basically just "start"... You can obtain 501(c)3 status (assuming you're in the states), but most wait, as it's not cheap to do. We're just getting started on that, ourselves. You should check with local laws, make sure there's nothing you need a permit for (I doubt it, but I checked anyway - everywhere is different).

Getting on Petfinder isn't as difficult as many think! Unless they've changed things in the last year, you fill the form out, send them your adoption contract, and have your vet send (or fax) then a letter stating they do see your animals (must be on their letterhead), and that's really about it. They'll contact you, talk to you for awhile, ask questions, and then you're approved. Again, this was almost a year ago that we got on Petfinder, so it may or may not have changed.

I'm going to put our forms online, actually, so I'll link them when they're up.

Any questions, please ask!
    Thanks!! This is North Dakota, so I doubt there are any laws against it, and I don't think I'll need any permits or anything then.

Now I just need to get organized...what should I put on an adoption form/contract? I could probably think of a bunch of things, but there are things I'm bound to miss.

Closed Thread