Rat Forum banner

Salt licks?

34K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  RatGirl4 
#1 ·
My girls don't have a salt lick in their cage and I began to wonder if they should, so I Googled it and found contradictory information (no suprise there!). So, I decided to pose the question to you rat savvy folks here.

Do rats need salt licks? If not, do they like them? If so, are they bad for them?

#3 ·
Yeah, that's what some of the sites I found said. Salt dehydrates them too much. But I found others that said they love it and it won't hurt them. Nothing I've found suggests they need them, though... so I guess it's better not to take the chance.

Besides... I gave them each a piece of Cheeto and they LOVED it. That's more than enough salt for the week, I'd say! Heheh.

#9 ·
if you want advise from the experts... "The Rat Lady" would be a great person to get it from

http://www.ratfanclub.org/diet.html

excerpt from this page:
Rats do not need a salt lick. They get all the salt they need from their diet. Salt licks are only needed by strict herbivores.

side note: I read somewhere that this diet she explains is being modified... I believe Darksong on this board mentioned something to this effect not too long ago. Hopefully she will chime in on this thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.