Two Pregnant By Wild Male - Page 3
RatForum.com is the premier Rat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Pregnant By Wild Male

Quote Originally Posted by JAnimal View Post
    I belive rats can mate through the bars of the cage. You will have to be very careful.
    Fortunately they can't. I once thought that they could too, but they can't put themselves in the correct position to mate through the bars. Females need to put themselves in the lordosis position and males need to hold on to them- both can't happen through the bars of a cage.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Rat Forum
    Advertisements

Wild rats could open the cage though (unless the cage is something like a critter nation) and mate that way, or even kill the babies. Female rats can get pregnant while still nursing their previous litter.

All doors in the cage are clipped closed because mine can open it haha but the one we've seen is gone and traps have been empty. We typically don't get wild rats/move with the two cats around. I was supprised to see the one that was here.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribouilli View Post
    Fortunately they can't. I once thought that they could too, but they can't put themselves in the correct position to mate through the bars. Females need to put themselves in the lordosis position and males need to hold on to them- both can't happen through the bars of a cage.
    Good to know!
    Rats: Timothy, Scout, Gus
    Dog: Marley
    Cat: Oliver
    Guinea pigs: Coco, Sage
    RIP Bailey (Cat), Theo (Rat) Ego tamen non obliviscar tui

Banned

Keeping two litters of half wild rats? Wow, that's going to be a whole lot of fun! Even perfectly socialized these little critters are going to move at about warp 9 until they get older and slow down... On the up side... part wild rats can be pretty reclusive so you might not see them too much once they get into the furniture.

I want to check in the girls and both have a clear discharge. Is that normal?

How are they doing? Any babies yet?

Alice just finished giving birth and Queen is having contractions!

Whoa how exciting fingers crossed everything goes well.

Skritch Lover

Wow good luck to you and I'm looking forward to pictures

+ Reply to Thread