Do rats eat bugs?
RatForum.com is the premier Rat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do rats eat bugs?

Default Do rats eat bugs?

First, is there a "food" section? If so, I think I missed it. :\

Anyways...

I've been reading around here, just to learn more about rats. I can't have any more pets right now, but there's no harm in expanding my knowledge of animals, right? lol. I read that rats are omnivores. If rats will eat other, smaller, animals, do they also eat insects, such as mealworms?

My sugar gliders eat mealworms and hedgehogs, from what I've read, eat mealworms so I thought maybe rats do too, just as a treat. :?:
    Slave to:
    <br />
    <br />2 Kitties
    <br />6 Ferrets
    <br />6 Sugar Gliders
    <br />
    <br />...and a hubby, lol.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Rat Forum
    Advertisements

Default Re: Do rats eat bugs?

It can be used as a treat but you had better pray your rat doesn't want to lick your lips afterwards...hehehe.

You have to watch the protein for rats so it would be a very rare treat.

ROFL!

What does a "balanced" diet for a rat consist of( x% protein, x% fat, etc...)?
    Slave to:
    <br />
    <br />2 Kitties
    <br />6 Ferrets
    <br />6 Sugar Gliders
    <br />

i work on a farm that breeds feeder insects and my ratties love all of them, it's hard keeping them to an occasional snack but it's not good for them to have alot so i do. but i wouldn't feed them anything i caught from the garden.

Pepsi likes to eat flies and spiders on free range time haha!

My rat Scout viciously murders and devours any type of beetle, especially June bugs. Hearing the crunch is a little gruesome... :roll:

But, as stated above, some rats are protein sensitive, so should be limited. As to the percent of fat and protein that a rat diet should have, I'm still undecided on this. The opinions range from single digit percents to about 24% for protein, so obviously you're going to get some varying answers. I like about 12%, that's worked fine for me.

I actually did have some male rats who were protein sensitive once, that's why I veer away from the higher protein. A few people completely disagree with this, though, and stick with the high protein diets. Also depends on the rat's stage of life. Babies need a little more protein.

I like to keep the fat as low as possible, since my rats have never had a problem keeping on weight. :wink:

I can not control the bugs my rat eats. What he catches flying he eats. Though there is few moths in here now...

Lol! I didn't realise rats were like that. Must be nice having little exterminators, eh? Heehee
    Slave to:
    <br />
    <br />2 Kitties
    <br />6 Ferrets
    <br />6 Sugar Gliders
    <br />

I was wondering about this myself as I have read stuff about rats eating grubworms. I thought about buying a few for them but I'm not sure yet if I'm ready to introduce them to "fresh meat"!
    Grieving the loss of The Explorers ~ Lewis &amp; Clark and Max the Himi <br /><br />Mommy to -<br />Rex the Nakie and Trumpet the Berkie.

I used to have a rat who would literally catch moths in the air and then devour them. Other than that... I haven't really explored the idea too much, mostly because of the protein thing.

-Rozaylia

+ Reply to Thread