Rat Forum banner

The Rat Forum's Beginner's Guide (Work in Progress)

37K views 79 replies 17 participants last post by  bitteghkjjnn 
#1 ·
Hey guys, so a couple of you may have seen in the Lounge that we're starting a Beginner's Guide to rat ownership, an FAQ, if you will, and we need you to help get this ball rolling.

So, what can you do? Well...
If you yourself are a beginner, give us your questions. Some of us have been doing this too long, so remembering that some people have never held a rat (properly) before is where we become relatively stupid.

If you have experience, share it. You don't need to be an expert to write a cage review or hook us up with some awesome links. What's your favorite site for cage covers? Where did you learn how to dose Baytril? Is sewing hammocks easy?

How many yogies could a rat yogie if a rat could make it's own yogies?! The world may never know without you.

The point of this is that, as some of you may notice, our forum is full of information. But it's scattered everywhere. If we could centralize some of our core links, I think it would be much easier for those of us who are new to these fluff balls we call friends - uh, I mean rats.

Without further adieu, I'll start.

One of my all time favorite guides for sewing hammocks is:
http://www.ratropolis.com/Rat Tutorials/RatTutorials.htm
Just download the free sheet and there's about a million different patterns.

Also, post some categories for this. We also composing a master supplies list of e-v-erything you'll ever need for rat ownership, from Oxbow to toenail clippers and zip ties. So, if you feel like taking an inventory of your supplies (which I found myself doing while moving), post them here as well.

Thanks a ton, and I know there are so many n00bs :wink: out there who are thanking you as well.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Habitat

Cage Attribute Musts!!!

Helpful Cage Attributes

• Doors that are large enough for YOU to have easy access to the cage.
  • Makes for easier cleaning
    • Arranging items in the cage, hammocks, toys, hide huts, hammocks etc.
    • Litter box training
  • Raised edges to keep litter and poops inside the cage
Cage Environment

• Lots of Hammocks
  • Toys and puzzles
  • Hide huts and other places to hide
Substrate
  • Things to Avoid
    • Cedar and Pine Shavings
    • Should be dust free
  • Substrate Types
    • Fleece
      • Should be 100% polyester, wicks urine down
      • Absorbent layer should be placed under fleece soak to up urine
        • Fleece Pros
          • No litter to get tossed out of the cage
          • Easier to clean floors of cage
          • I personally think it's easier on the feet
          • More fun than shavings
          • Relatively inexpensive
          • Can be reused
        • Cons
          • Not always easy to secure it well to the floors and shelves
          • Some rats will pull it up, chew on it and burrow under it, especially if it's not well secured
    • Shredded Paper, wood shavings
      • Pros
    • ***I'm not a big fan of other kinds of substrate, so someone else should list the pros
      • Cons
        • Can be messy
        • Can be difficult to find dust free
        • Even with higher edges on the shelf, it can end up outside of the cage
        • Can be more difficult to litter box train
        • Not reusable

For more information on cages and recommendations, see the sticky 'Choosing a Good Cage For Your Rats'
http://www.ratforum.com/showthread.php?60993-Choosing-a-Good-Cage-for-your-Rats-GUIDE

#4 ·
Question about writing the beginners guide?

Will all of this information be reposted after it is final in it's own forum after it is finalized? I think that would be a good idea. I keep thinking of other things that should be included under habitat. We only have something like 5 minutes to edit it. I've already added or edited 3 times.
I'm willing to write a more in depth guide in Word and then post it later. I would also like input from others so all the information can be posted in single thread.

Also, I think listing info in bullet form would be most helpful, at least for me. The pertinent information will be easier to find without conversation in the body of it.

#5 ·
A few pros to paper bedding:
(Even though I don't use it lol.)

No worries about chewing it up
Rats can burrow in it, removing the need for dig boxes.
Easy to clean, just dump and replace.
Low maintenance and easy to set up.

#6 ·
Feeding supplies

The best ones I've found have a metal ball in the sipper. They are less likely to leak. Also, have more than one. Sometimes they malfunction, all the water leaks out or water stops flowing out.

If you use water bowls, get heavy ceramic ones or the kind that are made so they don't easily turn over, same with food bowls.
Rats will often poop in the bowel or try to cover it up. If it's covered up with absorbent material, it may soak up all the water

#8 ·
I'm posting ideas for info in this post. Actual replies for the information requested will be in separate threads for clarity and ease of reading.

A few I would love to see

Common rat ailments (Like URI's, tumors, and ear infections) as well as treatments for them, for people to be able to go to their vets with some basic knowledge.

Tips on rat-proofing a room.

Acquiring cheap/budget cage decorations.

Building your own rat toys. (Things to look for and avoid and how to make safe toys.)

Training guide, along with several common rat tricks and how to teach them.

Vet costs, averages and ways to budget vet costs (such as care creadit) and other realated info.

I'd love to see an up-to-date list of veterinary practices, breeders, and rescues in each state for rats.

Also, I would love to see a guide on choosing a new rat from any source with information from multiple people. (I hope I don't start another flame war here because of people who want to preach to the choir about how pet store rats are the worst things on the planet. Please no one get into that argument here! It'll destroy this thread and the purpose of it.) I don't want a guide on choosing a rat from a rescue or pet store from someone who would never or has never gotten one from a store or rescue himself/herself. I don't want to hear from someone who thinks that any rat not from a breeder deserves to be left behind to be neglected and/or killed. I want a guide on how to choose a rescue or pet store rat from someone who would choose those animals himself/herself. I wouldn't advocate pet store rats, but I know from experience that sometimes it is the only viable option and if someone is making that choice, that person needs to go into it with the best information possible. If someone doesn't agree with adopting pet store or rescue rats, he/she should just contribute to the "selecting a breeder rat" section instead.

#10 ·
I (I hope I don't start another flame war here because of people who want to preach to the choir about how pet store rats are the worst things on the planet. Please no one get into that argument here! It'll destroy this thread and the purpose of it.)
Amen to that!

Another thing that would be good is a UNBIASED comparison of getting a rat from a breeder as opposed to a pet store of feeder rat. I personally think that these comments would be most helpful from people who have had all three. I've only had feeder bin and pet store rats, so I wouldn't be the best to make these comparisons. I also think these comparisons should be based on facts, not opinions.

Matter of fact, non-judgemental OPINIONS can be included in a separate thread.

Both should also include pros and cons of each source.

#9 · (Edited)
For people in NC there are two main veterinarians I know of.

Animal Ark, Clemmons, NC
Clemmons is located next to Winston Salem, 30 minutes away from High Point. This is the go-to rat vet for people in the area. They have 2 experienced rat vets who are very knowledgeable. They do neuters on Wednesdays but will not do spays unless necessary due to the high number of risks. Prices are very reasonable and great customer service.

Avian and Exotic Care, Raleigh, NC
Exotics vet in Raleigh. They only have 1 vet there for rats and are very expensive. Not recommended to go there for surgeries or specialized procedures but fine for regular issues and physicals.

As for rescues, I only know of the county shelters. I am planning to start up a small animal rescue in the area (Not just rats but all small animals. Small scale so I don't get overwhelmed. If anyone wants to help out I'd be glad for it.) but it'll probably be another 3-6 months before I'm ready to start it up. NC has a huge need for rescues and breeders. Closest rat rescue I could find was in Pittsburgh and the only breeders I could found wouldn't reply to me inquiries or hadn't updated their pages in years and probably didn't exist anymore.

#11 ·
I've had rescues and pet store rats. Never had breeder rats simply because there are either no decent breeders here in NC or they've all gone into hiding. I work every day. I can't afford the time OR money to go cross country for breeder rats.

#12 ·
The guide will be revised after everyone has posted.

Due to technical limitations, it will not be getting it's own forum, but we'll see if it can have a designated area. Most likely I'll divide it up into individual posts with added information in a Google doc.

Once it is posted, the topic will most likely be locked. No comments will be allowed in the guide topic. It's essentially a book, not a discussion.

I don't know how long this will take, but seeing as it's being written for free by people in their off time, it might be a while, and I hope people can keep that in mind.

Lastly, we are all adults. And if you're not a legal adult, pretend to be one. This is, with an exception to product reviews, and objective piece of literature that requires you to remove as much bias as possible. I do not want to have to edit any pieces beyond spelling and grammar, but if your piece suggestions condescension towards another person's viewpoint, I will notify you of the issue and give you a chance to remove it. If you fail to do so, I will remove it myself.

#79 ·
Social requirements for rats.

Need to be in groups.
Need time out of the cage.
Need variety to prevent depression, boredom and aggressive behavior.
Puzzles.

Suggestions and examples would be good
Question!! I bought a play pen for my rats, one made for guinea pigs but with small bars :)
My rats are new and timid, not comfortable enough to let me pick them up yet. I have also tried placing the cage into the play pen and leaving the door open so they can choose to come out when they want but that has only worked once so far. Any suggestions on how to make my rats more comfortable with me AND the play pen? I would love for them to get more comfortable so I can spend more time with them and start teaching them tricks too.

#16 ·
By travel, what do you mean? Because I travel, as in move, a lot. I live a semi-nomadic lifestyle, so I've moved houses four times since last July. None of my personal rats have any issues with it. ****, we've been camping together.

There's a thread: moving with rats

Or Camping with Your Rats

#18 ·
Ah travel is a good subject. Especially during the holidays, because people will travel by all sorts of vehicles. Long trips versus shorts trips.

Suggested carriers.

Traveling with your rat on a train and/or bus should be touched upon.

Traveling in car or plane, from folks who have done it before.

Sometimes people have asked what to do if they're moving to another country with their rats (via plane) and if it's okay to bring them.

If someone has a lot of knowledge about that, it would be a great section.

#19 ·
I would think traveling with your rats would be more difficult in the states. When I flew my cats to Hawaii, they had to go with everyones luggage. Rat's aren't very well accepted as pets here, so a train or bus might be difficult. I know that in Germany and some other European countries, pets have a much higher status than here.

Personally, if I were going to travel with my rats, I'd drive with a cage set up in the car.

#23 ·
Interesting. I've always driven with my rats. I have 3 car cages depending on how many and what ages my rats coming with me, and then a travel cage at my destination. It's usually a bit smaller since you can't really travel with a DCN, but they get extra daily playtime instead. I treat traveling like extra bonding time for me and my babies. Hope grandma doesn't mind lol.

#25 ·
I believe there was an article somewhere with a step-by-step on how to prepare fleece to be used as bedding (so that it wicks properly) as well as cleaning and whatnot. Also, I'm sure any walktrhroughs/tutorials on cage building would be amazing. I'm building one myself this weekend, so if all goes well we'll have that.

Don't forget to include a link to the list of rat friendly vets by state, and I don't know if these exist yet, but lists of breeders/rescues/groups/etc by location would be awesome. I'm in Louisiana a myself and wow rat people are hard to find down here, finally lucked out with a couple of Facebook groups! Haha

Um, anything explaining markings, coat types, ear types, colors obviously. That's very basic, but I know I had no idea there was so much variety.

I'll try and think of the first questions I had..Oh, "boys vs girls" would be very helpful. I know it's not a real "versus" type situation, but just something explaining the differences would be good. Maybe even toss in new illustrated guide to gendering.

For people who didn't impulse buy (like myself.. shame) maybe a guide to owning a baby rat? What to feed, what developments to watch for, how old is safe/ok to wean (so they can be weary of someone letting rats go too young), at what age boys/girls should be seperated.

Um.. anything involving pregnancy. I see that asked a lot. How to spot it, how to handle it. I know there's already a thread on it, so that's a little leg work saved there.

Oh, as for ailments, be sure to include/outline anything that is transmittable between species, such as cat to rat or what have you. I don't know if there are many or even any at all, but just a thought.

I apologize if any of these things have been said. I'm on my phone so can't recheck over the thread well. I'll try to think of more questions as I have them.. being a rat Newby myself.

#41 ·
I believe there was an article somewhere with a step-by-step on how to prepare fleece to be used as bedding (so that it wicks properly) as well as cleaning and whatnot.
I've already got this in my notes :)

In my experience, IF your rats are not chewers and IF they are litter box trained and finally IF the fleece is well secured using fleece is great. I prefer it to wood or paper substrate. Use the 'hook' side sticky back Velcro on the bottom of the shelf. It holds the fleece pretty good. As long as there is no loose fleece, my rats won't pull it up, chew on it, or burrow under it. I also use puppy training pads under 2 layers of fleece. I haven't had ANY problems with odors as long as the litter box is changed out ever day.

#30 ·
I can't say I know the laws here, since I've only lived here for a little while, but it doesn't seem that much of an improvement. I live in Berlin, so there's a ton of dogs here, and yes lots of folks bring their dogs into restaurants and it's pretty relaxed. Most of these restaurants are privately owned so it varies place to place who allows what. I also know a lot of vegans here too so maybe there's a stronger desire for animal rights?

Anyways I don't want to go off topic. :)

Mudbug did you mean this tutorial? https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/21568-The-Fleece-Project-The-Study

Would any helpful youtube video links be accepted?

#32 ·
If you feel it might be helpful to new rat owners, you could add a link to the immersion guide.

I'd almost suggest a link to my shoulder rat thread too, but that is really only for advanced rat trainers and handlers. For new rat owners, it's more of a things-not-to-do checklist, so it might be best left out or at least not linked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.