The Rat Forum's Beginner's Guide (Work in Progress) - Page 2
RatForum.com is the premier Rat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rat Forum's Beginner's Guide (Work in Progress)

Skritch Lover

I've had rescues and pet store rats. Never had breeder rats simply because there are either no decent breeders here in NC or they've all gone into hiding. I work every day. I can't afford the time OR money to go cross country for breeder rats.
    Rats are like potato chips, you can't have just one.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Rat Forum
    Advertisements

Blog Entries

The guide will be revised after everyone has posted.

Due to technical limitations, it will not be getting it's own forum, but we'll see if it can have a designated area. Most likely I'll divide it up into individual posts with added information in a Google doc.

Once it is posted, the topic will most likely be locked. No comments will be allowed in the guide topic. It's essentially a book, not a discussion.

I don't know how long this will take, but seeing as it's being written for free by people in their off time, it might be a while, and I hope people can keep that in mind.

Lastly, we are all adults. And if you're not a legal adult, pretend to be one. This is, with an exception to product reviews, and objective piece of literature that requires you to remove as much bias as possible. I do not want to have to edit any pieces beyond spelling and grammar, but if your piece suggestions condescension towards another person's viewpoint, I will notify you of the issue and give you a chance to remove it. If you fail to do so, I will remove it myself.

Social requirements for rats.

Need to be in groups.
    Need time out of the cage.
    Need variety to prevent depression, boredom and aggressive behavior.
    Puzzles.

Suggestions and examples would be good

5. Remove Advertisements
    Rat Forum
    Advertisements

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by InuLing View Post
    I've had rescues and pet store rats. Never had breeder rats simply because there are either no decent breeders here in NC or they've all gone into hiding. I work every day. I can't afford the time OR money to go cross country for breeder rats.
    They've either retired, or in the case of my former breeder, contracted a lethal rat allergy.

Also, a thread with questions for people thinking about getting a rat.

An example would be how often are you at home. Do you travel a lot. These people probably should not have rats.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catty-ratty View Post
    Also, a thread with questions for people thinking about getting a rat.

An example would be how often are you at home. Do you travel a lot. These people probably should not have rats.
    By travel, what do you mean? Because I travel, as in move, a lot. I live a semi-nomadic lifestyle, so I've moved houses four times since last July. None of my personal rats have any issues with it. ****, we've been camping together.

There's a thread: moving with rats

Or Camping with Your Rats

Quote Originally Posted by RatAtat2693 View Post
    By travel, what do you mean?
    I'm talking about people who go out of town a lot. People who travel for work, or go out of town over night or longer often. When I was in college, I had roommates that went out of town frequently. Some students are required to study abroad for a semester. My husband has to go out of town every couple of months and is gone for a week at a time.

When I was in college, especially in upper division courses, I HAD to stay on campus a lot to do work in studios. It wasn't practical to bring my work home. So I wasn't home much of the time.

Another sad thing with students is that they are bad about adopting a pet and then getting rid of it when they go home for the summer.

Stuff like that.

Blog Entries

Ah travel is a good subject. Especially during the holidays, because people will travel by all sorts of vehicles. Long trips versus shorts trips.

Suggested carriers.

Traveling with your rat on a train and/or bus should be touched upon.

Traveling in car or plane, from folks who have done it before.

Sometimes people have asked what to do if they're moving to another country with their rats (via plane) and if it's okay to bring them.

If someone has a lot of knowledge about that, it would be a great section.

I would think traveling with your rats would be more difficult in the states. When I flew my cats to Hawaii, they had to go with everyones luggage. Rat's aren't very well accepted as pets here, so a train or bus might be difficult. I know that in Germany and some other European countries, pets have a much higher status than here.

Personally, if I were going to travel with my rats, I'd drive with a cage set up in the car.
    'Til we meet again, I love my Bratty-Ratty

Quote Originally Posted by catty-ratty View Post
    Cage Attribute Musts!!!
    • Bar spacing be no more than 1/2"
    Some adult rats and most adult males can get by with 3/4" or even 1"
    Rats: Timothy, Scout, Gus
    Dog: Marley
    Cat: Oliver
    Guinea pigs: Coco, Sage
    RIP Bailey (Cat), Theo (Rat) Ego tamen non obliviscar tui

+ Reply to Thread