The Rat Forum's Beginner's Guide (Work in Progress) - Page 3
RatForum.com is the premier Rat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rat Forum's Beginner's Guide (Work in Progress)

Quote Originally Posted by JAnimal View Post
    [/LIST]Some adult rats and most adult males can get by with 3/4" or even 1"
    Got it. Thanks
    'Til we meet again, I love my Bratty-Ratty

2. Remove Advertisements
    Rat Forum
    Advertisements

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catty-ratty View Post
    I would think traveling with your rats would be more difficult in the states. When I flew my cats to Hawaii, they had to go with everyones luggage. Rat's aren't very well accepted as pets here, so a train or bus might be difficult. I know that in Germany and some other European countries, pets have a much higher status than here.

Personally, if I were going to travel with my rats, I'd drive with a cage set up in the car.
    I'm too broke to fly. We have a strategic set up in my Outback for road trips. I'm pretty sure rats aren't allowed on planes. I know for a fact, however, that you can't take them on buses and trains.

Skritch Lover

Interesting. I've always driven with my rats. I have 3 car cages depending on how many and what ages my rats coming with me, and then a travel cage at my destination. It's usually a bit smaller since you can't really travel with a DCN, but they get extra daily playtime instead. I treat traveling like extra bonding time for me and my babies. Hope grandma doesn't mind lol.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Rat Forum
    Advertisements

Blog Entries

Mine just chill out in the cat carrier. When I travel with pets, it's usually a move. So the reliable rats get free time in my trunk while the dogs and cat get their walk. I use the Rat Manor as a travel cage.

I believe there was an article somewhere with a step-by-step on how to prepare fleece to be used as bedding (so that it wicks properly) as well as cleaning and whatnot. Also, I'm sure any walktrhroughs/tutorials on cage building would be amazing. I'm building one myself this weekend, so if all goes well we'll have that.

Don't forget to include a link to the list of rat friendly vets by state, and I don't know if these exist yet, but lists of breeders/rescues/groups/etc by location would be awesome. I'm in Louisiana a myself and wow rat people are hard to find down here, finally lucked out with a couple of Facebook groups! Haha

Um, anything explaining markings, coat types, ear types, colors obviously. That's very basic, but I know I had no idea there was so much variety.

I'll try and think of the first questions I had..Oh, "boys vs girls" would be very helpful. I know it's not a real "versus" type situation, but just something explaining the differences would be good. Maybe even toss in new illustrated guide to gendering.

For people who didn't impulse buy (like myself.. shame) maybe a guide to owning a baby rat? What to feed, what developments to watch for, how old is safe/ok to wean (so they can be weary of someone letting rats go too young), at what age boys/girls should be seperated.

Um.. anything involving pregnancy. I see that asked a lot. How to spot it, how to handle it. I know there's already a thread on it, so that's a little leg work saved there.

Oh, as for ailments, be sure to include/outline anything that is transmittable between species, such as cat to rat or what have you. I don't know if there are many or even any at all, but just a thought.

I apologize if any of these things have been said. I'm on my phone so can't recheck over the thread well. I'll try to think of more questions as I have them.. being a rat Newby myself.

Blog Entries

No worries. Better twice than none at all.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catty-ratty View Post
    I would think traveling with your rats would be more difficult in the states. When I flew my cats to Hawaii, they had to go with everyones luggage. Rat's aren't very well accepted as pets here, so a train or bus might be difficult. I know that in Germany and some other European countries, pets have a much higher status than here.

Personally, if I were going to travel with my rats, I'd drive with a cage set up in the car.
    Sorry, I don't know what you mean about pets having a higher status in Europe?

In Germany, depending on the size of your animal, a dog for this instance, you have to pay for their ticket and pay a dog tax. Weird right? With small animals you can travel with them in a small carrier on a bus or train, but really the only times you'd do this is if you're taking them to the vet, picking them up, or need to travel during the holidays.

If I had a car here it wouldn't be much of a question for me how to travel with them. However rats can be difficult traveling via public transport. You have dogs, prying eyes, and weather to deal with. Rats are not popular pets here either, when shopping for them in the store or online there's not a lot of options. Actually lemmings and degus seem to be more popular O_O.

Some after thoughts:
    I guess in terms of all animals (even horses) can take the trains, in some instances there is a higher status. Though It seems like Germany just has a very strong public transport service as opposed to when I lived in a big city in Ohio.
    Last edited by Kelsbels; 04-15-2016 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsbels View Post
    Sorry, I don't know what you mean about pets having a higher status in Europe?
    Part of my old job was standing in front of retail establishments raising funds and supplies for local animal shelters and rescues. Living near the largest military installation in the world, there are a great many people from around the world. Of all the foreigners I talked to that wanted to help the animals, most of them were German. They told me a lot things about how animals are regarded in Europe, but especially in Germany.

From what they told me, Germany not only has laws to protect animals, they are actually enforced. An American stationed there 'disposed of' a litter of puppies in a cruel way. He was prosecuted and served jail time. Animals are allowed in restaurants, as long as they are behaved. Every German I talked to was absolutely appalled at the way animals are treated here in the states and told me how much better it is for animals in Germany.

After hearing the same stories over and over again for the 3 1/2 years I worked at that job, I can't help but believe it's true.
    'Til we meet again, I love my Bratty-Ratty

Blog Entries

I want to know where you worked because that's not what I heard at all. Of course, when it's through the grapevine, you never know.

Blog Entries

I can't say I know the laws here, since I've only lived here for a little while, but it doesn't seem that much of an improvement. I live in Berlin, so there's a ton of dogs here, and yes lots of folks bring their dogs into restaurants and it's pretty relaxed. Most of these restaurants are privately owned so it varies place to place who allows what. I also know a lot of vegans here too so maybe there's a stronger desire for animal rights?

Anyways I don't want to go off topic.

Mudbug did you mean this tutorial? https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...ject-The-Study

Would any helpful youtube video links be accepted?

+ Reply to Thread