Are raw potato's good for rats?
RatForum.com is the premier Rat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Are raw potato's good for rats?

Default Are raw potato's good for rats?

i fed my rats raw potato last night because my mom said it would be ok, though i am just making sure...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Rat Forum
    Advertisements

Default Re: Are raw potato's good for rats?

No actually they're very harmful. Raw potatoes and sweet potatoes contain a substance that's toxic to rats. No more!!

Raw potatoes are a no-no. I think it's okay if they're cooked? I've never given them to my girls either way. You need to be careful with some raw things, they contain chemicals that aren't good for rats. I think raw lettuce, cabbage, and brussel sprouts are also bad.

rut-ro

please read the diet thread stickied at the top of rat health

in fact, let Mom read it too so that she doesn't feed anything else to them that may be harmful
    Julia

OH NO!! i will never feed them potato's again!!!!
    i'm so sorry daisy and cookie!

Quote Originally Posted by collisiontheory89
    Raw potatoes are a no-no. I think it's okay if they're cooked? I've never given them to my girls either way. You need to be careful with some raw things, they contain chemicals that aren't good for rats. I think raw lettuce, cabbage, and brussel sprouts are also bad.
    I thought lettuce was fine.. just not recommended, as there is no nutritional value.
    Lark & Lizzy
    <br />

Quote Originally Posted by phaidraft
    Quote Originally Posted by collisiontheory89
    I thought lettuce was fine.. just not recommended, as there is no nutritional value.
    That's ICEBERG lettuce that's no good. Almost all of the other kinds are just fine, and some of them are downright excellent. Kale has lots of nutrition. And even though it's a little "garden variety" (pun intended... groan), my girls just adore romaine. I wash off a whole leaf for them, pin it up, and let them go nuts. But I also buy organic, which is very helpful for raw produce. Pesticides and other grody things built up quickly in a rat and should be avoided.
    http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/35478

+ Reply to Thread