MRR and the Holbrook 1000 - Page 3
RatForum.com is the premier Rat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: MRR and the Holbrook 1000

Quote Originally Posted by RatAtat2693 View Post
    I'm in the process of interviewing and typing an article for the media. We're not sure why there isn't more information about this out. When we participated in the Jersey 500, where someone dumped 500 PEW rats in the highway, there was coverage everywhere.My guess is this isn't as public as the highway dumping.
    Ok sounds great thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Rat Forum
    Advertisements

I just found out the rescue I foster for, EARPS, is taking some of the Holbrook rats. I don't know how many. Maybe I will foster some.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ratloved View Post
    I just found out the rescue I foster for, EARPS, is taking some of the Holbrook rats. I don't know how many. Maybe I will foster some.
    Do it! Do it! They're all remarkably sweet, considering the circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by RatAtat2693 View Post
    That's great. I just read the entire article. MRRR and the other rescue that helped did a tremendous work! For the life of me, I can't understand what took that guy so long to get help, or even simply realize that rats were getting out of their cage if the first two females got pregnant! Anyway, great work.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gribouilli View Post
    That's great. I just read the entire article. MRRR and the other rescue that helped did a tremendous work! For the life of me, I can't understand what took that guy so long to get help, or even simply realize that rats were getting out of their cage if the first two females got pregnant! Anyway, great work.
    Thanks. I never talked to the guy, so I couldn't be 100% certain, but I think he was dealing with some personal/mental issues, and these rats were a type of support system.

Hoarding cases are complex because he is attached deeply to every one of these animals, regardless that he can't possibly have a real connection with all 1500+ rats. That, coupled with the thought that shelter = euthanasia in most minds, makes it hard for many people to give them up.

There's this unfortunate perception that surrendering an animal you absolutely cannot take care of makes you a bad person or that doing so is condemning the animal to death row. In many cases, it's not. Many people in rescue use the animals on death row as an example for the atrocities of shelters. I'm not going to deny the millions of animals euthanized, but there are plenty of animals that do walk out of the shelter/rescue and into good homes.

It's a subject for a completely different article, which I'll try to type up, but the short of surrendering is that giving up an animal you genuinely cannot care for does not make you a bad person. Additionally, if you choose your path of rehoming carefully, you are not dooming them to a short and miserable life. Many rescues will allow you to foster your animal until a new home is found, and even more rescues are willing to do what's called a "courtesy posting" to Petfinder and other adoptions sites that will advertise your animal's need for a new home. The key, in most cases, is finding a good rescue, and in lieu of a rescue, avoiding high kill shelters.

+ Reply to Thread