How much does it cost to nuetor or spay your rat?
RatForum.com is the premier Rat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How much does it cost to nuetor or spay your rat?

Default How much does it cost to nuetor or spay your rat?

is there a differents between spaying costs and nuetoring costs?
    just wondering - because i might get a male rat. (he is at the humainsociety and his name is noah! he is one of the cutest black ratties i have ever seen and i want him sooo bad so i think i might have my dad convinsed. (again) lol)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Rat Forum
    Advertisements

Default Re: How much does it cost to nuetor or spay your rat?

spays typically run higher than neuters

As too how much they cost, it depends on your vet.

I've heard of neuters that run as low as 35-45 bucks to as high as 200-250

Spays are very invasive for girls. It is a major surgery since it requires going inside the abdominal wall. A neuter does not but it is still a touchy procedure since some rats do not survive anesthesia or they suffer post-operative complications.

To be honest... putting an animal through these procedures just with the hopes that they would be cagemates afterward may not be what is best for the animal & there is no guarantee they will accept each other.
    Julia

ok thanks, i will need to think this through then. maybe i should just get a female then? or keep the male in a seperate cage, that rat needs a good home, i don't want him to spend his life alone in a cage doing nothing!

If you have a good vet who is experienced with neuters, I see nothing wrong with getting a male rat neutered to put him with girls (and I emphasize good vet with experience). There are even rat rescues who spay and neuter every rat that comes in. Their are marked health benefits to spaying, which, again if you have an experienced vet, may outweigh the risks of the procedure. But of course these are all things that individuals need to think about and decide for themselves, because there are always risks with every surgery.

The cost of neutering this rat will depend on your vet period.
    As for this guy your thinking of getting........You can't save them all, hun.
    I know this guy is really cute and all you want to do is love him and give him a good home as it is what he deserves.....BUT you really do need to think about all this.
    Lets say you do get him. You now have to decided to either get him nurtured or have him live alone. Lets say you get him nurtured. Can you afford up to $250.00 to get it done? After he's fixed, what if he is very mean to your girls, what will you do then? He could very well end up alone if you get him anyway. So I would like to suggest that if you really want to save a rat from the human society, then get a girl. Leave this guy there for someone with other boys at home to get. There are others looking at these fuzballs too. If you do get another rat make sure to quarantine it for at least 2 weeks and then slowly introduce it to your other girls.
    I also want to commend you for the posts you've been putting in the "Rats Needing Homes" section. It's a very nice thing you are doing for these little ones. You really have a big caring heart and it shows. Just don't take on more than you can handle.

I've been making equiries myself because it's something i may have to consider and it'll cost £40 for a male rat and £60 for a female (same as cats) but i'm from the UK so not sure if that'd be any help or not lol.
    'Day after day, the whole day through
    <br />Wherever my road inclined
    <br />Four-feet said, "I am coming with you!"
    <br />And trotted along behind' Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by Skitza
    ok thanks, i will need to think this through then. maybe i should just get a female then? or keep the male in a seperate cage, that rat needs a good home, i don't want him to spend his life alone in a cage doing nothing!
    I know some might think me to be completely out of line but I also know there are far more people thinking what I am about to say...

Skitza you need to sit back & think about your rat habits & take a look at what is going on from an outsider's point of view.

You post on here that you favor one rat over another so you believe it is best to keep your one rat & get rid of the other because you ignore her.. but in the matter of days you are seeking out cage mates &/or more rats & now you are expanding to include both sexes.

Are you really thinking about what you are doing? Have you consider what you are opening yourself up to if you start bringing in single displaced rats of both genders. Can someone besides me say "trainwreck getting ready to happen" ...?

You can't just collect these creatures & then trade them off when you get bored with them or find yourself favoring one over another. Please take a break & consider the impression you are giving off here because as of late I know that I have been rather concerned about some of your posts. I see a trend & a potential hording situation developing since you spend so much time reading over surrenders.

At best you need to think about this... these homeless or soon to be homeless pets often come from less than favorable conditions. Many are under socialized & it takes a patient & experienced hand to rehabilitate them. How can you commit to that when you post on hear how you favor one over another?

Rats are not baseball cards that you can place on a shelf & admire for a time & then trade it out when you see a card you would rather have.

ok, I said my piece... slam for for doing so or applaud me for doing so... that isn't my point for posting... I just couldn't read anymore & sit on my hands any longer. I am not jumping on Skitza... I am simply trying to get them to take a breath & take notice of the impression they are making & potentially get Skitza to rethink over the decisions being made
    Julia

Im afraid i have to agree Julia.

As for neutering spaying etc. Unless abosolutly nesscecary dont do it. Its risky for any animal to go under let alone a small one. And the risk of lumps forming isnt a small one. Others will and can dissagree with my point of view. But thats life. Just my 2 cents.

i also agree with julia... i just didn't want to be the first to say it because i didn't feel like having people jump down my throat.
    -Marianne-<br />The Boys; Figgy, Vincent, Bleeker, Bart, Bobby, Barney, Spanky, Solomon, Seymour, Stanley, Seely, Sebastian, Shep, Dolce, &amp; Gabbana<br />The Girls; Bree, Barbie, Bertha, Bessie, Bianca, Bonita, Bridgit, Sally, Sadie, Sydney, Sasha, Sassy. <br />RIP; Captain, Brian, Selina, Sylvia, Edward,&amp;4 bubs

well, everything is now undercontroll. i got the two in the same cage and they are doing fine. i just put them in last night and they were fighting like MAD! but then i just got home from the library and i put them together and they had a few fights but now they're fine!
    so i guess you could say i got my ratties housed together and i am getting a BIG parrot cage very soon for them. and that cage could house like 5 maybe more ratties!
    if you wanna see it here is the link:
    http://barrie.kijiji.ca/c-pets-acces...QAdIdZ51962935

ttyl,
    skitza

+ Reply to Thread