How different are ferret nations from critter nations?
RatForum.com is the premier Rat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How different are ferret nations from critter nations?

Default How different are ferret nations from critter nations?

Two questions about ferret nation questions

So I backed out from the two boys I was getting. Turns out its a backyard breeder that JUST started when she "rescued" 6 rats from craigslist.
    I've since found a BETTER breeder an am getting a hairless female and a RE silver agouti female on wednesday.

Question 1:
    The sticky part is that my critter nation may get here wednesday or it may not. So I need to have a backup plan so that I have somewhere to keep them. I'm considering using part of my boyfriends double ferret nation cage for the time being. He has a ferret and I'd just take the top half and she'd be okay in a single level for a day or two.

Are the bar spacing too wide for 2 rats that are 6weeks old? They're female so they are a bit smaller. Or should I just go out and try and find a small cheap cage?

Question 2:

I bought two yards of fleece for my rats today. Can I use my boyfriend's ferret nation floor/shelf panels as templates on where to cut or are the shelving different in size?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Rat Forum
    Advertisements

Question 1: 6 weeks rat (females or males) will definitely escape a ferret nation. You could use a Rat Manor or hamster cage for a few days. You will need a small cage anyway for backup or whatnot. You could do a bin cage too.

Question 2: the shelving is the same so you can use it as template.

Thank you! I never really examined his ferret cage so I didn't know and I haven't gotten my critter nation in the mail yet so I haven't been able to compare the two.

From my experience, ratty depth perception is huge. They may squeeze through a 1 1.5" bars, but it's unlikely they'll wander far. If they do fall, they learn quick. Have confidence and reinforce good behavior. (Obviously only if no threats.) This may vary for babies.

However, I don't recommend rats and ferrets living in close quarters. They seem like natural enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Dopeyrat View Post
    From my experience, ratty depth perception is huge. They may squeeze through a 1 1.5" bars, but it's unlikely they'll wander far. If they do fall, they learn quick. Have confidence and reinforce good behavior. (Obviously only if no threats.) This may vary for babies.

However, I don't recommend rats and ferrets living in close quarters. They seem like natural enemies.
    Oh I'm sorry! I should've specified. My boyfriend and I don't live together so they don't interact. I was gonna take his half of the ferret nation and bring it to my house.

omg yeah a baby and even some full grown adult females can slip out of those bars in an instant!
    The good news is getting a smaller cage is a good idea anyways, it is alwasys nice to have a backup cage for an emergency, travel, etc... So it won't be wasted.

but it's unlikely they'll wander far
    eh. I disagree. Even more so with babies & rats to a new house. It is not worth the risk at all. I've had rats get loose and very very very few ever just sat there. By far the majority had an adventure. Most of my rats believe they can fly & have no issues taking leaps off of things, even more so babies. Depending on your home and the room they are in it could be a nightmare trying to recatch them or even find them. As i said not worth the risk.

+ Reply to Thread