Can a rat cage be too big?
RatForum.com is the premier Rat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can a rat cage be too big?

Default Can a rat cage be too big?

I have heard from a rescue that I got my rats from that when housed in a cage that is too big, the rats may become territorial. Does that mean there may be a minimum for a large cage? On the rat calculator it says the DCN can fit 16 rats if the space is used wisely. What if you only have maybe three or four rats?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Rat Forum
    Advertisements

The dcn is fine for four rats. Personally I think 16 rats in a dcn is too much
    Got four rat asses. Still don't give one.RIP: Pippin (2014-2017)

A DCN is not going to be too big for 3-4 rats, not even for 2 or 1. Many people keep that many rats in the cage even.
    If your cage was like the size of a large bedroom it might get on the too big too handle/clean range lol But no there should not be any issues with them being territorial unless there are underlying issues already.

16 is not ideal for a DCN though, you may have put in the wrong measurements. Sometimes people put in the whole cage which includes the bottom stand which shouldn't be counted as space.
    A DCN fits 10-12 rats depending on how space is used.

Critter Nation 2 Levels: 36"L x 24"W x 63"H (48" H without the stand) fits 12 if you only give 2 cubic feet of space, 9 with 2.5.

+ Reply to Thread