Thoughts on the "No Intentional Breeding" Rule - Page 2
RatForum.com is the premier Rat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Thoughts on the "No Intentional Breeding" Rule

As far as anti-breeding arguments, I feel that mostly comes from people that don't know what breeders do. Having a "why to breed" or some such post that explains the goals of an ethical breeder, if there's not one already, I think would be nice.

Admittedly, I was very turned off from forums such as this one. I decided to give it a try, lol. But because there are...not so nice aspects of breeding, they can lead to ugly conversations when your average pet owner reads and misinterprets the intention. There is certainly a pressure to discuss the "cutesy babies" aspect. It's a pet forum, really, and people post things that pertain to pet owners...just the way it works, I guess. I understand that there are things most people don't want to hear about, but at the same time these are the things that people who wish to breed NEED to hear. I do wish there was more open discussion on the realities of breeding.

If you decide to go the questionnaire route, I don't think it would be too much of a hassle for someone that really wants to be involved in posting and such withing the forum. I've narrowed my breeder adoption application to 5 short questions. There are a couple things you can ask a person that gives you a great idea of what kind of breeder they are.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Rat Forum
    Advertisements

Ok so intentional breeding was forbidden because it led to flame wars in the past, right? So what make you think, Jaguar, that it would be any different now? Or am I being too logical here? If you can moderate it correctly this time go for it otherwise don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Heatherl View Post
    Ok so intentional breeding was forbidden because it led to flame wars in the past, right? So what make you think, Jaguar, that it would be any different now? Or am I being too logical here? If you can moderate it correctly this time go for it otherwise don't.
    I think Jaguar is looking for input on reforming the forum rules on the topic because they are a little confusing. I'm hoping that with a reform, ethical breeders will want to participate more and share their valuable experiences. If there's a way to make this easier for all the mods, let's offer those ideas.

Right - reform meaning restructure, not complete removal. Trying to find a happy middle ground.

Rest well Matilda, Rufus, Oliver, Sebastian, Miles, Leno, Gabby, Ona, Cami, Luna, Blue boy, Fuzzy boy, Benjamin, and Bernard.

Quote Originally Posted by Asiposea View Post
    I think Jaguar is looking for input on reforming the forum rules on the topic because they are a little confusing. I'm hoping that with a reform, ethical breeders will want to participate more and share their valuable experiences. If there's a way to make this easier for all the mods, let's offer those ideas.
    I got that but if there were fights before there will be fights again- human nature is still the same and opinions on breeding are still very touchy-feely. By restricting the access, it won't stop the fights since the fights start after someone gain access to the sub-forum. I mean what have changed now compared to before that will prevent any fights? That's what I'm trying to understand. I can already see how a breeder could appear good to some people but bad to others...some people have low standards as to what is a good breeder and others have very high standards. Plus breeders have very large Facebook groups, I don't think they will even be interested in participating in a forum.

Plus a very legitimate concern is that many members here on RatForum will start a backyard breeding rattery thinking they have all the info after reading a few breeder posts There is a reason the breeder Facebook groups only accept breeders and not just anyone who wants to join.

+ Reply to Thread