Forcing Strax to love me?
RatForum.com is the premier Rat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Forcing Strax to love me?

Default Forcing Strax to love me?

Without going into too much detail, Strax has returned to my care after concerns over her living conditions. She acts like she was never handled, she is terrified of everything, and she seems to hate being out of her crate as much as she hates being in it. Her self harm wounds have healed, but this poor thing just needs love.

When I have her out, she hides in my pocket, trembeling with fear. She insists on being hidden. So I snuggle her anyway, offer her treats anyway, and try to stimulate her mentally anyway. She adores her "trash box" (just paper and tissue paper shreds in a box), but she only hides on the bottom level. She won't come to the top level of the box system, as it seems to terrify her.

She's not hurting herself anymore, and she's not throwing herself around her crate anymore, either. She's grooming again, and eating better, but she's still in bad shape.

Am I right to force her to sit with me? I force her to try to be active by using her trash box, spending time with Momma, and only catching a small scent of the other animals.

I'm so afraid she's going to hate me forever. It's only been a few days, but I'm terrified!

What have you done to make a skittish rat love you? How long did it take?
    Strax (Rattie) `` Oswin (Doggie) `` The Doctor and Amelia (Kitties) ``Alex (Husbandie) ``
    COMING SOON
    Atlas (Doggie) (adoption in process)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Rat Forum
    Advertisements

I dont know your full situation but could you get her a friend by any chance? She'd likely feel a ton better if she had a rattie friend. Us humans cant fill the void another rat would in her life. They love us but another rat can give them things we cant.

So far as forcing her to sit with you.. All of my rats have been from petstores so I often end up with skittish ones. I force them to let me hold them and it does help them some. However I've never been able to make them act like a not skittish rat if that makes sense? They do calm down a lot but they're just skittish by nature. So nothing really wrong with forcing her to be with you especially if she is a single rat, just dont expect a total personality change or anything.

She's rather aggressive, but I do want to get her a friend. She's a little over a year old, so she's still young. I'm not trying to force a personality change, like you said, but instead get that sweet, happy personality to shine more. As for a friend, I was thinking a female a little younger, and slowly introducing them. I try to get Skritchie Skritchie out as much as possible, give her free range time, etc. I try to spoil her best I can. Maybe she will never like me, and that's ok. Come pay day (Thurs), I'm gonna go to the same feeder store that I got her from and check out girls.

I feel so bad for forcing her on me when she's so afraid. I just tell her, "It's ok, you're ok. Good girl, good baby." The only thing she likes from me is skritching behind the ears, and I'm more than happy to provide!
    Strax (Rattie) `` Oswin (Doggie) `` The Doctor and Amelia (Kitties) ``Alex (Husbandie) ``
    COMING SOON

5. Remove Advertisements
    Rat Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RatLife View Post
    Maybe she will never like me, and that's ok.
    I have had a couple boys that never warmed up to me but would tolerate me. I still loved them regardless and hopefully her friend will be more loving towards you. Make sure to spend time with the rats when you go to look for one Insist on it even if the pet store worker doesn't want you to. Pick one out that seems to be fond of you, will let you hold her, and that ofcourse looks healthy. Strax might even come around when she sees her friend likes you and it might make her feel more secure.

I love the names!Strax,Oswin,The Doctor and Amelia!Im such a whovian.I only know one person that comes close to how obsessed I am with Dr Who.Im currently watching the fifth Doctor again.I know about half of the episode names since the ninth Doctor and some from before.
    Last edited by Rattielover965; 01-10-2017 at 07:29 PM.
    

Is there any chance you could let her to sit, uh, under your clothing instead of your pocket? My rat was never as bad as that but she's always been extremely nervous about everything and didn't like me much.
    I'd take her out and let her run all over me and the best place she found to hide was under my armpit. She's still very shy but she has definitely warmed up to me. She still would rather sit under my armpit than go explore but sometimes she comes out to ask for pets or lick my face
    And yes, your rat does need a cagemate though it will probably be difficult to introduce her.

Letting her sit under the clothing is a good idea. I'll have my vet trim her nails to make it easier on my soft tummy. I may even try to go with a spegetti strap top or topless to see if she likes sitting on my shoulders with skin contact. I've been gathering tons of ideas from this site, even if i don't log in.

I didn't think to ask them to let me handle the rat. The only place within a 50 mile area is a pet supply store (locally run, hate PetSmart/Co). They're bred as feeders, but I don't mind.

I'm so obsessed with DW, haha. Even my vet wonders why I didn't name Atlas after Donna or something. (She's named after Project ATLAS.) When we take on another rattie, I'll likely name her Bill, even though we haven't met Bill yet
    COMING SOON

I don't advise naked shoulders, rats will have difficulty holding on.
    But rats absolutely don't understand hugging through clothing or pockets, they need bare skin contact for that.
    You don't really have to trim their claws as long as you don't try to shake them off. They grab on only when they're falling.

Oh, and be careful with sleeves. If a rat gets inside your sleeve, it will never ever leave.
    You might as well keep on living with a rat in your sleeve.

Have you tried sitting in an empty bath tub with her? That's the most effective method I've found. It's not overly forceful, yet they still cannot run and hide from you - except from inside your clothes, which will have your scent on them and when she begins associating your scent with no danger she may begin warming up to you a bit more

+ Reply to Thread