How many different languages
RatForum.com is the premier Rat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How many different languages

Squishy Laprat
    Blog Entries

Default How many different languages

What languages can we speak (no google translate)?I can speak English,limited Spanish,and this doesn't count but I know a few words in sign language.
    

2. Remove Advertisements
    Rat Forum
    Advertisements

When people are asked how many languages they think there are in the world, the answers vary quite a bit. One random sampling of New Yorkers, for instance, resulted in answers like “probably several hundred.” However we choose to count them, though, this is not close.

When we look at reference works, we find estimates that have escalated over time. The 1911 (11th) edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica, for example, implies a figure somewhere around 1,000, a number that climbs steadily over the course of the twentieth century. That is not due to any increase in the number of languages, but rather to our increased understanding of how many languages are actually spoken in areas that had previously been underdescribed.

Much pioneering work in documenting the languages of the world has been done by missionary organizations (such as the Summer Institute of Linguistics, now known as SIL International) with an interest in translating the Christian Bible. As of 2009, at least a portion of the bible had been translated into 2,508 different languages, still a long way short of full coverage. The most extensive catalog of the world’s languages, generally taken to be as authoritative as any, is that of Ethnologue (published by SIL International), whose detailed classified list as of 2009 included 6,909 distinct languages.

Squishy Laprat
    Blog Entries

Sorry I don't mean as humans,but as members of the forum.
    

5. Remove Advertisements
    Rat Forum
    Advertisements

I can speak hebrew, english(of course),and some spanish.
    Current rats: Sierra
    RIP: Bandit<3

I'm fluent in English (of course), relatively fluent in Spanish and I can speak limited German and French. The stresses of taking 3 languages at GCSE level paid off in the end, I passed them all haha!

Only English for me, but I used to be fluent in French (you don't use it, you lose it), and I studied Latin.

I attended a unique bi-lingual elementary school and took everything in french (except English, lol). But math, science, art, health etc were all in French. Then I studied Latin for 5 years through middle and high school. I also took French again through high school, easy A!! lol

I find that I can understand a lot of spoken Spanish from my French and Latin history. And I can still understand spoken french (20+ years later), but only respond minimally now.

Blog Entries

I'm a native English speaker and I'm learning German. I can understand most of what people are talking about in German, but my speaking capabilities are a bit broken. I use it a lot though when going about my life here, giving directions, ordering, complaining, going to the vet, doctors, and well speaking to some friends and family. At least with German the grammar isn't too bad outside of learning the gender words/when to use them.

I tried learning Spanish in High School, but I was too confident when I started that I became pretty bad at it haha. Some words stuck and had helped in certain situations.

Little Fuzzy

I'm a native English speaker, and I speak conversational Spanish. I spoke the language very well as a young child, because my dad is fluent, but I don't speak it as much anymore. You don't use it, you lose it.
    Current Ratties: Maple, Ross, Bilbo, and Sam (9 foster babies)

Past Ratties: Solo, Taz, Reepacheep, Hestia, Yin, Yang, Old Man, Momma

+ Reply to Thread