Hello from future owner of ratties!
RatForum.com is the premier Rat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello from future owner of ratties!

Smile Hello from future owner of ratties!

Hello everyone!

My name is Claire and I'm currently planning on adding two ratties into my life. I live with my husband and our small dog in beautiful Colorado. I'm looking forward to soon becoming a rat momma and provide a lot of love to two special little boys or girls!

Something that I plan on asking in the "rat behavior" section is whether or not I should wait until after my 2-week trip to Europe to get my ratties.

Looking forward to meeting other rat moms and dads in this awesome forum!

-Claire

2. Remove Advertisements
    Rat Forum
    Advertisements

Welcome to the forum! I'd definitely wait until after your trip. You don't want to get rats and then have to leave them in someone else's care for the first two weeks, which is a crucial time for them to begin bonding to you.

Hello and welcome! Have fun on your trip. I think it would be more convenient getting them after.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Rat Forum
    Advertisements

Thank you! and before seeing your replies I have already posted my question on the behavior thread.

Would it make a difference it I got young ratties at least a month before my trip?

Thanks again,

Claire

When is your trip? If it's not for a few months then you should be okay. I really wouldn't reccommend getting any rats if you're going away in the next month or so. It wouldn't be fair on them to be brought into a new home where they'll begin to get used to you and then when you leave have someone else look after them for the duration of your trip. It'd be too confusing for young babies.

Quote Originally Posted by BearNecessities View Post
    When is your trip? If it's not for a few months then you should be okay. I really wouldn't reccommend getting any rats if you're going away in the next month or so. It wouldn't be fair on them to be brought into a new home where they'll begin to get used to you and then when you leave have someone else look after them for the duration of your trip. It'd be too confusing for young babies.
    My trip will be for 2 weeks, mid-May. I agree that it wouldn't be fair for the ratties to be brought into the home and then 1 month later I leave them with someone else for 2 weeks.

Maybe hold off until you're back from Europe, it'll be something to look forward to once you get home! I read your other post in the Behaviour section. I'd reccommend you start contacting breeders now. A lot of us don't have babies available on demand and have waiting lists. You'll need to speak to some breeders and find out about their homing policies, planned litters etc. and make yourself known.

Get a rattie babysitter ❤️

+ Reply to Thread