To wait or not to wait for ratties...
I have decided that I want to add two ratties into my life, but have a small issue I need your help/suggestions with.
In May 2017, I will be taking a 2-week trip to Europe with my husband.
QUESTION: Should I wait until after the 2-week trip until I get my ratties?
My main concern is that any bond I share with my ratties might be thrown out the window (for lack of a better term) if I leave them in the care of someone else for that time.
My plan is to get properly socialized rat pups from a reputable breeder, so bonding with them will (hopefully) be easy.
Ideally I want to get my ratties at least a month before my trip.
Any help or suggestions is much appreciated!
This is more a comment on the logistics of this matter- I don't know if you already have a breeder lined up but they may not have babies available right when you want them or they may have a waiting list?
I have found some local breeders, but haven't made contact yet.
Originally Posted by Asiposea
But let's just say IF some rats become available a month, or sooner, before my trip....what would be your answer?
To judge from my own experience with babies I've had from breeders that were very tame and friendly right from the start, I would have felt comfortable (though still knowing it's not ideal) going on a trip after a month having them. I just hate to tell you 'yeah, that's fine', lol. I think this is just a personal choice for you and the next person who responds to this thread is going to say the opposite. Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of rat ownership
I'd wait because I wouldn't want to have to find a rat sitter.I know I'd feel better with a rat sitter ready just in case,but I wouldn't want to worry about the rats or not think of anything but the rats.
Last edited by Rattielover965; 03-20-2017 at 02:59 PM.
a 2 week trip is not going to ruin a bond but it is not much time to really bond before then anyways depending on when you could actually get them before then lol
But would you have someone extremely trust worthy to watch them for that long? 2 weeks is a good amount of time, they would need 2+ cage cleanings, should have daily interaction. If they watch it at your home or theirs, means additional factors. I get worried trusting people with my pets lol. I'd be worried they would let one escape or worse if they didn't remember to properly feed/water them.
If it were me, I would wait.
Also it is not easy to usually get a rat from a breeder right when you want it. It all depends on when they are pairing their rats and when babies are born, are old enough to be sold. So you might be waiting anyways.
I'd find a breeder now and get on their waitlist or just start talking to them and let them know about your trip & hopefully get them afterwards.
But yeah it is your choice in the end.
Thank you! I am acknowledging all of your helpful thoughts on this.
Originally Posted by moonkissed
Personally, I'd wait till after your trip. What Moonkissed says is true, you might be waiting on having rat babies anyway.
Some strikes against getting the early
- You'll want to be there with them and you'll worry how they are the entire trip
- If you don't have a trusted rat sitter, then rushing to find one stinks. My boyfriend and I took a trip last October and I was lucky enough that a friend of mine looked after them. I asked her three months in advanced since we would be away for three weeks. It is asking a lot from the person.
- It's a short amount of time between getting them (if there's some available) and your trip. Not that bonding would be a problem, but to be away from them early could make you miss out on their baby antics.
- In my situation, I have no air conditioning which means I need to be home to help cool them down during hot weather (It's all of Germany that has no aircon). If that's the same situation for you the sitter might find it difficult to keep the rats cool or might not have the same time commitments.
Just some thoughts. It's not horrible if you get rats before your trip, but the reasons I listed above would be some of my concerns if I were you.