Should I get 1 or 2 new rats to befriend my old one?
RatForum.com is the premier Rat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Should I get 1 or 2 new rats to befriend my old one?

Question Should I get 1 or 2 new rats to befriend my old one?

One of my rats just died last night. I am worried about her sister who is now all alone. They were both ~8 months old. How long should I wait to get a/two new rat/s? Should I get one or two new rats to keep her company? How old should the new one/s be? How should I introduce them? I live in Northern California, does anyone know of any good breeders near me?
    Current rats: Sierra
    RIP: Bandit<3

2. Remove Advertisements
    Rat Forum
    Advertisements

Squishy Laprat
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry for your loss.
    

Squishy Laprat
    Blog Entries

She will need at least one friend you will probably want two new rats incase they don't get along with your other rat.Also if you get two they have each other while in quarantine.
    

5. Remove Advertisements
    Rat Forum
    Advertisements

I am sorry for your loss

I always suggest getting two new rats. Incase your current girl does not take to the new one they still have a friend. Andage differences play a role. If they are much younger, it is better to have another friend their own age.

Sooner is better, you dont want her to be alone long. Though I do suggest doing a quarantine of new rats before introducing them. You should also have a second cage incase they do not get along, while rare it may happen.

How do you quarantine rats? Bandit and Sierra were my first pair so I never had to introduce them to any other rats.
    Current rats: Sierra
    RIP: Bandit<3

Squishy Laprat
    Blog Entries

I think there is a thread in the health forum about it
    

I always recommend getting two new rats. There's always a chance that your current girl won't take to the new babies and if that was to happen, they'd still have each other for company. If you get young babies it's always best they have a friend their own age to play with, older rats aren't always down for it and get annoyed by babies. You'll need to quarantine for 2-4 weeks, you'll need a second cage for this. Keep the new rats in a completely separate room from your current girl. If after the quarantine period your girls show no sign of any illnesses, you can begin the introduction process.

+ Reply to Thread