Hello from Bristol, UK!
RatForum.com is the premier Rat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello from Bristol, UK!

Default Hello from Bristol, UK!

Good day everyone

I'm not what you'd call a complete rat newbie - my partner and I bought two beautiful rats last July named Spiral and Selina - they're smashingly glorious. We love 'em. We got given then, three older rats by a friend who was moving to somewhere you couldn't have pets and these were Janeway, Margoyles and Flabbergast. Janeway got an eye infection and died after complications from surgery just a few weeks after getting her - the other two stayed happy and died of old age in the months after that. BIT OF A JOURNEY THAT WAS. Going from never having owned rats to having three die in space of a few months was quite the eye-opener I can tell you.

We then decided to get boys - partially because we're gluttons for punishment - partially because behaviorally we'd heard boys were quite different. In December we got Sparhawk and Ragnarand and they're ludicrously friendly fellows. So here we all are - coming to nine months on and we're all very happy.

Thing is, when we went through all the debacle with the ladies we looked up a lot of advice on the internet - and there's a lot of information pages that tell you this and that.. some was helpful, some wasn't. We mainly went through it all headfirst - made some mistakes, had some near misses - I suppose I just think it'd be better if we could share the experience of rat ownership with other owners and get advice and hear whether we're doing EVERYTHING WRONG or not. Particularly I've been driven here by one particular trouble-spot but we'll come to that when I've got the proper permissions!

Short version: Rats! Hello! More Rats!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Rat Forum
    Advertisements

Squishy Laprat
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum.Im sorry for your losses.Are the females spayed or are the males neutered?
    "UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot,nothing is going to get better.It's not."-The Lorax

Hello and welcome to the forum! What fabulous names! There is a lot of great information here- you'll find what you need!

5. Remove Advertisements
    Rat Forum
    Advertisements

Welcome to the forum and hello. Looking forward to learning too.
    Ratsxxx

Hello everyone!

In terms of neutering or spaying none of them have anything - we just keep them very separate. They don't seem particularly bothered or stressed by the arrangement. I will say we're still a bit squeamish about going forward with surgery again after what happened with poor Janeway. I think unless there was a pressing need I'd likely avoid it!

Hello! What creative names! Did you name them?

Hi Deltaphi - yeah we did They all had other names when we got them but we thought ours fitted better!

+ Reply to Thread