docile or sick?
RatForum.com is the premier Rat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: docile or sick?

Default docile or sick?

Tabitha, my albino dumbo rat, is very very docile for a female. i know females are customarily rambuncious and love to explore, but it seems that Tabitha is a snuggle bug. Not that i'm complaining, it just seems weird.

So i am wondering if she is just unique or sick.

Tabitha sleeps what seems like a lot. I always see her during the day curled up in a corner of the cage while Kida (her cagemate) is running rampate vying for our attention. When she is out during play time she sits on my shoulder and grooms, or sits in my lap and grooms, or squeezes herself into a dark, warm place to sleep (right now she is curled up in my shirt). Her eyes seem very bright, there is no discharge from her nose or anything, however she has been having a problem with runny stools. i equate that to us getting them about 2-3 days ago. she's either grooming or sleeping... hardly ever exploring. She does chatter her teeth a lot though while on my shoulder, hiding beneath my hair (i heard that is a sign of contentment?) and she groomed my boyfriend's shoulder and hair today which was very sweet.

So rat experts, what is it? I've included all of the details i can think of, but please ask questions if i havent come across clear with anything. I want the best for Tabs, and if a vet visit is in order i will willingly do so.

-Jessy <br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    Rat Forum
    Advertisements

Default Re: docile or sick?

How old is your girl? Older rats sleep a lot but rats with a low-grade infection can as well.
    So absolutely no breath sounds? How about cool or cold feet, tails etc?

She is still young. I'm not sure of the age but the petstore had her for about a month and she is smaller than Kida.

No, her tail/feet are not cool or cold to the touch.

She makes no noise when she breathes, the only sounds i hear are her chattering her teeth. She will shiver every once in a while, but is that because she is scared?
    -Jessy <br /><br />

If she's new the shivering is most likely nerves. If the chattering is loud and grinding that could also be from stress. She sounds healthy enough, but as I said if she's new she's not relaxed enough to be Herself yet.

She sounds lovely though, and I have some very sweet cuddly docile females here

Is cold feet a bad sign??
    I've had 2 boys for 11 months and 2 newbies for a couple of weeks, and they've all got cold feet.
    I thought it was just a little rat quirk? ...or the Irish weather...
    They're all fit as fiddles otherwise - constantly investigating and boggling away...

Quote Originally Posted by naturetable
    Is cold feet a bad sign??
    I've had 2 boys for 11 months and 2 newbies for a couple of weeks, and they've all got cold feet.
    I thought it was just a little rat quirk? ...or the Irish weather...
    They're all fit as fiddles otherwise - constantly investigating and boggling away...
    lethargy, cold feet, sometimes swelling of the extremeties, etc can be signs of CHF (congestive heart failure) which can be managed with certain meds. It can mimic respiratory as well, but doesn't respond to antibiotics. If your boys are active and alert they are probably just fine.

Your rat is fine. My rat Piper is calm too. Some rats are just that way. Unless she is isn't eating, drinking plenty of water and using the bathroom often, i dont think you have anything to worry about. keep us updated if you have any concerns.

Thanks i'm glad she is a cuddle bug

She seems to be eating and drinking. However she does have diarreha what can i do about that?
    -Jessy <br /><br />

Is she still fairly new? Upset tummies are quite common when you first bring a rat home because the change can be stressful, plus they need time to adjust to their new diet. You do need to be careful though - diarrhoea can be dangerous for rats as they do dehydrate quickly.

Can I ask what you are feeding them?

She is very new. It hasn't been a week yet. I sorta expected her to be stressed, but Kida's poo is very normal compared to Tabitha.

The petstore was feeding them reggie rat and Kaytee Forti-diet lab blocks. We took them off the reggie rat, but kept them on the kaytee. We both wanted to get them mazauri, but the petstore only carried it for hamsters, not rats
    -Jessy <br /><br />

+ Reply to Thread