Rat Forum banner

What's the oldest rat you've owned?

5K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  comprar 
#1 ·
Im fairly new to owning rats and haven't experienced loosing one yet. I was just wondering what everyone's experience was with loosing rats to old age. I always had hamsters as a child and one of them lived to the ripe old age of 5 which is obviously uncommon but got me thinking about rats and their lifespans in captivity.

#2 ·
From the 5 rats I owned in total, only two of them lived beyond two unfortunately. Both about 2 years and 2-3 months. A family member of mine had a rat that almost lived 4 years and in one of my facebookgroups there is someone who had a rat that was nearing 6 years! Crazy. I even doubt if that's true because it's extremely old.
I recall reading somewhere that the average lifespan of pet rats is 2 years and 4 months, but I don't remember what the source was. Google says the longest living rat became 7 years and 4 months. I would give a lot for having a rat buddy that would live that long.

#6 ·
Welsh I'm with you there. We've had our number 1 since July of 2015 and I'm not sure how old she was when we got her. So she's 2-2+... It seems like over night she went from spry to tired, it breaks my heart. Over the past two-three weeks she has gone down hill so fast and it seems like now all she wants is sleep, food, and to be held, not even to play. I thought she was sick, but there are no signs that she is other than those listed above.
I'm just trying to love on her and give her as much attention as she wants atm. It's a hard friendship to have to let go of, but I think she's still got a bit of time left. Not sure how it looks as they get closer, this is our first time to experience it.

#9 ·
Wow that's amazing! Isn't the world record 7yrs 4mths has he beaten that yet? The shelter should def contact the world record people when he passes.

Your rats live pretty long lives are they from a breeder? I'm guessing most pet store rats don't live that long.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.