Rat Forum banner

Litter-training...please help?

645 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Kira united rats 
#1 ·
I have gotten to the point where I let my rats out all day. But i want them to be litter trained so they don't stink up my whole room!! Any tips? Also, my mom hates petsmart and never takes me there, haha, so I need to make my own out of my rat-cardboard stash. I can make different ones so they don't get soggy, or is there some way to make it waterproof? Thanks, guys!! Also, if you have any tips on an even safer rat proofed room (for the rats and my items) please let me know! Thanks again!

#2 ·
When they are out is it an open cage door policy so they can run back into the cage? if not it should be
with them getting out more they are going to want to be out more their first litter box is their cage as soon as one starts doing their business sweep the legs support the legs and back into the cage with them they can come out when they are done
after some time you will notice them run back to their cage every now and then once you see that go to like wallmart or somewhere you can get a bin that they can run in and out of Make it Stand Out if you cant submerge it in water for an hour its no good treat it like a component of their cage like you gave them a porta cage and they will use it like a portapotty

personaly I have a modified backpack with a substrate bin a food dish a water bottle and some running room and railing and some rampge so tnhey can go up and down threw the backpack(note the modifacations made could easily be done with a tac vest the most important backpack piece of it is actualy the shoulder straps and the part that presses aganst my back the rest is made of lexan nuts bolts cage bar and a water bottle from the local petstore) this backpack more sutes me cause really if my rats are not in the cage they are on my shoulders and the pack is easy access for them

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.