Do your dogs get along with your rats?
RatForum.com is the premier Rat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Do your dogs get along with your rats?

Default Do your dogs get along with your rats?

I've just got two rats and I'm getting them acquainted with me. The dogs sniff and sniff and whine wanting to see them. We aren't letting them... but they are super curious.

Anyone have dogs and rats and maybe some pointers?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Rat Forum
    Advertisements

Default Re: Do your dogs get along with your rats?

My lab loves the rats! At first, I let them sniff noses while the rats were on my lap and the dog was loose. Now they love to sneak in his crate while he is in it and the dog will just lay down while the rats crawl all over him. The only reason why I trust my dog with the rats is because he has no prey drive whatsoever. He sees every animal as a friend, not food. If your dogs have any interest in hunting other animals, I would be very cautious.

Thanks for your input. My dogs like to chase squirrels out of our yard, but I don't think they would know what to do with one if caught. They seem to know the difference between pet and wild.... they love kittens.

But I will wait to let them get acquainted until after my rats bond with me. It'll probably be quite some time.

I have one dog that is ok with them, the other one would try to eat them, and she sit next to their cage and whine as well. Id be VERY careful if I were you... chasing is a display of preydrive, whimpering is a display of lack of impulse control. Have your dogs ever got along with a smaller animal?? if not, they might go for them..

my dogs are scared of mine lol!! but at first they justed sniffed

I have an 80 pound lab/pit mix that LOVES my rats. He plays with them like they're miniature dogs

He grew up with my first rat, Brett, and I've never thought twice about letting him be their big buddy. I have to be careful though because he's extremely protective of them and if one of the other dogs or the cat come near them he snaps at them as a warning.

My dog is horribly jealous of my rats. She hates it when I pay attention to them. And I know she'd snarf them up in a minute if she had the chance!

I've got a beagle/basset hound mix named Ginger. She has never been aggressive to them, but she gets VERY nosy. She'll whine and bark and jump if she sees them moving, so I keep her away. Her basset/beagle instinct is not something I want to test with my rats. She gets jealous, as well. :P Although she gets jealous when I show ANYONE affection other than her! Even people. :P

My dog could care less about all my girls. He is a terrier, and I know his breed was bred to be a hunter, but he is not interested at all in our rats.

At first, he wanted to see them so we would hold them on our laps and show him what we were holding. And we made sure to hold onto HIM, just in case he decided to lunge and make a snack. But after about a week of that, and a few times of them climbing up his legs or jumping from the bed onto his back and going for a ride, he now ignores them. He doesn't mind them sniffing his legs or his nose, but he doesn't really care for them climbing his legs or going for rides. It is usually Sally who will do that, and Lucy will pretty much ignore Paddy like he ignores her. And Josie prefers to hide when Paddy is around.

We have not let Molly or Amy meet Paddy yet, and probably will not. Not that we don't trust Paddy, but he is now too old to climb the stairs to go into the room we use for the girls free-range time.

Anita

Nellie is bad about escaping from my room, and when I go to find her, I often find her sitting on a dog and snuggling with a cat..... My dogs want to see them, but they never hurt them. Maggie is scared of them

+ Reply to Thread