Snorting???
RatForum.com is the premier Rat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Snorting???

Default Snorting???

Hey guys!
    When one of my rats (Mutley) breathes, it is silent while he is sleeping, eating or just walking around on his own.
    When he is around me, he sounds TERRIBLE!!! He snorts to the point where it sounds exactly like an upper respitory infection. I was deeply concerned over this and put him on antibiotics. Nothing changed.
    I've never heard of a rat snorting. Bruxing, yes but snorting??
    Any feedback would be awesome. Thanks!!!!
    Love, Gwen :P

2. Remove Advertisements
    Rat Forum
    Advertisements

Default Re: Snorting???

One of my girls makes weird sounds, too. But it has nothing to do with a respiratory problem or anything.
    That's just was she does. I can't even describe it.... It sounds like.... Like she's struggeling, trying to get hard work done... *haha* I really can't describe it. It sounds really funny though.

That's interesting... How old is he, and how long have you had him?

Maybe he gets overly excited / stressed when he's taken out of his cage? Do you reach in to get him out, or does he come out on his own?

Maybe he's allergic to something, such as your shampoo, any perfume, fabric softeners, soap, etc... ?

Rest well Matilda, Rufus, Oliver, Sebastian, Miles, Leno, Gabby, Ona, Cami, Luna, Blue boy, Fuzzy boy, Benjamin, and Bernard.

Thanks guys!
    No, he's 100% comfortable around the house and around me. My rats are uncaged. I converted 2 big cabinets into rat sanctuarys. Where they have they option to leave and walk around the house freely. They were raised that way so they have no cage issues. He is also 1 year old. When he wakes up, he walks over to couch where I am to say hi and just starts snorting away, lol.

Hm... Has he always done that, or is it just something recent? I have a sneezer/sniffler that is in great health... Sounds like you just have a snorter :P

Rest well Matilda, Rufus, Oliver, Sebastian, Miles, Leno, Gabby, Ona, Cami, Luna, Blue boy, Fuzzy boy, Benjamin, and Bernard.

I'm starting to think that too, lol.
    He's fine!!! Quiet as a mouse! Around me? He's a snorter
    Thanks guys.......
    Love, Gwen

snorting can also be called huffing maybe? And this can be a sign of dominance aggression. Does he puff out his fur, and drop his head down, and do these sounds?

No, he's too busy snuggling with me in my lap demanding more pets

Two of my girls make noises similar to what you're describing. They're kind of a grunting/snorting sound, and I've only ever heard it while they're on me. I've taken them into the vet but nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Maybe some are just more vocal than others.
    When I first heard my rat grunt, I thought that it sounded like my rabbit - he used to make little grunts when he was uh..."excited"...don't know if that means anything though. Rabbits and rats exactly close like rats and mice.

It's not normal for a healthy rat to make snorty grunting sounds. However it's quite common for a rat with a respiratory infection to make snorty grunting sounds when stimulated, such as when they're out of the cage playing, or when being held.

Gwen I would be inclined to believe your instincts were right and Mutley does has a respiratory infection.

What antibiotic did you put him on? Was it baytril, or doxycycline? If yes what was the dose and how long was the course? In my experience most rats being treated for the first time will respond to baytril on its own or doxycycline on its own. However there will always be exceptions.

One of my rats is prone to myco flare-ups and has ongoing respiratory problems. The first time I treated him for the snorty pig sounds I used baytril, but it didn't work. I had to combine it with doxycycline to get rid of the sounds.

So Gwen I would recommend trying again but with a different antibiotic, or a combo.

Meanwhile Carina, why do you believe the noises your girl makes aren't respiratory? Is it because you've tried antibiotics with no improvement or because she seems otherwise fine?

The thing to remember with mycoplasmosis is it's a very gradual disease. Unless a secondary infection kicks in the rat will often seem fine with the only sign something is wrong being these grunty sounds. These sounds can continue for weeks or months with the rat appearing "fine", but damage is being done.

Thyme, I'd also recommend going back to your vet for a second opinion. Why did the vet think they were okay? Was it because he/she listened to the lungs and they were clear? If yes then you may need to point out that a rat with an upper respiratory infection will have clear lungs.

I know some people will tell you their rat isn't sick, it's just a snorter or a grunter or a chirper, but until I actually own a rat who snorts, grunts or chirps and who doesn't respond to any of the recognised respiratory antibiotics (baytril, doxy, zithromax, clavamox etc) and who lives to a decent age and dies of a non respiratory related cause then I remain sceptical. In my experience, weird breathing sounds are never good.

So my advice to all three of you is to get your rats on antibiotics and see if that makes a difference.

Edited to add - does anyone's rats sound like the rat in this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLf8Umaj-Pk

+ Reply to Thread