Rat Forum banner

Rat Harness and Leash

17K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  VictorianVanity 
#1 ·
hey guys, I wanted to get a harness and leash for my babies. but I dont want something they can slip out of.
would they escape from something like this?

I read that its better to have the ones with just two little holes for their front paws...but I can only find ones like this.

See less See more
#2 ·
I bought the first one for one of my rats a long time ago and she just slipped right out of it, they're for much bigger rats, if you have a small one it won't work :-\

#3 ·
Well, they're not small, they're not babies either. I cant say exactly how old they are because I got them from a guy who neglected them. so...uhm yeah they're males. I dont have anything to compare with, I guess I'll just have to buy one and see right? :p thanks anyways :)

#4 ·
I bought the first harness and it doesnt fit ANY of my rats. I have males, females some older adults... one big chunky boy. They can all slip out of it, or just stand awkwardly in it. I seen a picture of a rope harness which looked much better, but have never found it again since.

#5 ·
like this?

I think this one looks promising, but I dont know, I cant see the bottom, and....I have boys :/ haha it just looks like it's secure

if anything, I want collars so I can tell them apart without having to compare the two. (Vinnie is bigger, and Ozzy is darker)

#8 ·
KayKay21 said:
hm. alright, well I can always bring my rats into petsmart...I just gotta keep looking.

I really want a leash :D I think they'd love that! they love going outside in the smaller cage I have.
It's probably not a good idea to take your rats to a pet store.

I used to have a leash like the one she showed on the lizard and bunny. That worked great. I haven't been able to find one anymore. ema-leigh, do you know where to find one like that?

#11 ·
flox said:
Yep, too many unknown... THINGS in the air :D

This is from a UK site, but suggests those earlier styles certainly can go on a rat (whether they'd stay on or not I don't know!)

There's also Ferplast ones, and this with a review by someone who's used it on a rat, so I guess they work. Ah, same with this one.
Yes, many nasty things could be given to your rats at a pet store. Things that could wipe out a whole mischief of ratties if brought home by even one.

I've used all of those and none of them have stayed on my girls. I'm sure if you had big boys it would work. My girls slip right out of them. Even my rather large alpha female. The only ones I've ever had that worked were the string like ones that are adjustable. I used to see them all the time at pet stores but now I can't even find them online.

#12 ·
Yeah those rope harnesses are awesome and adjust to fit each individual rat. Those chunkier ones are easier for them to slip out of and they restrict movement. I have been searching for months for the rope ones but cant find any.

#15 ·
haha aw
see..I'm still gettins used to them, I've never had a rat before, I saw their teeth and kinda regressed. but I'm getting better again.
I dont know how'd I'd harness a rat :S they're very curious and I never know what they're thinking, so when they sniff me, I never know if they're gonna just bite me

#16 ·
I saw your other thread about that - I'll reply there, so as not to derail this one. But I've seen some super-cuddly rats that would more or less let you do anything with them, and I guess they'd be easy to harness. Unfortunately I think the ones you'd actually want to harness (wiggly balls of energy) would be the hardest to get in the thing!

#18 ·
Do not get those thick comfort harnesses! Waste of 8$ :|

it restricts movement far too much. My kids can't even move in them because of the front snap. For Army I use a hampster harness since she's so small, but I just recently got that blue one you keep asking about and it's ok for large critters, but they can still slip out. The rope ones are best since it hooks behind their legs and when they try pulling out it tightens (not enough to cause harm don't worry) just enough to keep them in it. Hope this helps!

#20 ·
Ah! That is exactly what I meant! A lot of people successfully use these for rats.

Thanks for finding it. Off to petco!

#21 ·
I honestly don't think that any rat will just up and bite you. They're simply not like that.

#24 ·
So I got the one I used to have and never had problems with it. Well, five minutes on one of my girls and she got off, got scared, and ran. Luckily she loves me and I was able to talk to her and get her out of the inside of the couch haha

Be very carful with them.

#25 ·
I have this harness here:

Definitly to big for girls. They just squirm their way out. As for boys...I don't know. Atticus didn't really move when he had it on; either because the harness restricted his movements, or he was just to lazy.

#26 ·
We tried one similar to the one Laura showed. Did NOT work for our girlies, even our big fat Tali-rat. Maybe once the boys get bigger they'll be able to use one. That'd be nice, I'd love to take the kids out and let them sniff and sun bathe but I'm terrified I'll lose them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.