Every BYB's list of favorite excuses - Page 2
RatForum.com is the premier Rat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Every BYB's list of favorite excuses

and don't forget about the "i breed to my own ethics" lol no names mentioned!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Rat Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    my byb boy tore a 3 inch long gash into another rat's muscle while having a stroke/seizure and proceeded to pass away the same night. i couldn't agree more.
    One of my BYB boys ended up with pneumonia despite never showing any respiratory symptoms as long as he's been with me. His brother was hormonally aggressive to the point he was almost neutered, and died of PT at 1 year 8 months. Another has malocclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekopan View Post
    One of my BYB boys ended up with pneumonia despite never showing any respiratory symptoms as long as he's been with me. His brother was hormonally aggressive to the point he was almost neutered, and died of PT at 1 year 8 months. Another has malocclusion.
    ha ha... they were genetic timebombs, huh?

5. Remove Advertisements
    Rat Forum
    Advertisements

My BYB boy at around 6 months lost all of his hair, then grew lumps all over his stomach- which were cancerous. He then had to be put down at just under a year old.

That rat I mentioned dropped dead 4 hours before his appointment to be PTS after he stopped walking and refused to move.

The only sign anything was wrong was, for a very long time, a lump the size of a marble. Within a week his whole side became bare and scabby and the lump changed, then he died. My theory was that it was some kind of cancer which invaded organs rapidly.

I now have 2 young BYB bucks who I rescued at the shelter. They are ADORABLE. But, Louis is prone to the sniffles and just got the whole colony sick. Ugh!

Benjamin, Chloe, Lucy, Fleur, Lily, Echo

Sleep peacefully-Peony, Marlena, Snitch, Rosebud, Romeo, Louis, Mendel and Tickles. I love you still.

Blog Entries

I have to admit... People who breed without having a clue frustrate me. But what's worse are the people who think they can keep males and females in the same cage and not get babies. *head desk*

I once thought of breeding, to be honest. But at the time I was researching it, had contacted breeders in my area that showed rats and had actually been breeding for a while.

Instead, though, I have decided that a rat rescue versus a rattery is better suited for me. Why breed more when A. I know nothing about it really and B. there are rats without homes?

I'll admit though, have heard these excuses all too often from BYB.

I'm curious as to why you phrased 16 the way you did. From classes I've taken in animal science and evolution there's a lot of evidence to sow inbreeding can leadup to an intensification of genetic deformities. It also lowers the genetic diversity of a group of animals, so if a disease goes through an area there's a lower chance that some of the animals could have an immune resistance to it (people are kind of worried about cows because of this). Some animal (such as wolves) have been selected to reproduce specifically with high amounts of inbreeding, but that not type of reproduction isn't too common.

Quote Originally Posted by spock22a View Post
    I'm curious as to why you phrased 16 the way you did. From classes I've taken in animal science and evolution there's a lot of evidence to sow inbreeding can leadup to an intensification of genetic deformities. It also lowers the genetic diversity of a group of animals, so if a disease goes through an area there's a lower chance that some of the animals could have an immune resistance to it (people are kind of worried about cows because of this). Some animal (such as wolves) have been selected to reproduce specifically with high amounts of inbreeding, but that not type of reproduction isn't too common.
    Inbreeding can lead to intensified bad things but doesn't entail that they're inferior. In fact, it's fairly common to cross cousins in breeding. Parading false superiority is misleading.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Ratties: Circe, Elias, Isabella, Ophelia

abisti, non peristi
    :
    Artemis, Athena, Demetria, Caius, Echo, Iris, Milo, Persephone, Remus

Quote Originally Posted by nanashi7 View Post
    Inbreeding can lead to intensified bad things but doesn't entail that they're inferior. In fact, it's fairly common to cross cousins in breeding. Parading false superiority is misleading.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
    I can definitely see where you're coming from with the false superiority, but as a buyer I think I'm going to steer clear. Just not worth the side effects (ex-inbreed depression or whatever it was called. Forgot after my animal sci. final, lol), or the cumulative genetic effects in my opinion.

+ Reply to Thread