Should I get male or female rats?
RatForum.com is the premier Rat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Should I get male or female rats?

Default Should I get male or female rats?

Hello, everyone.

I have two female rats at the moment, and I think they are great pets, but I know they will not be with me forever. I might plan on getting another pair of rats in the future for companionship, but I am not sure which gender to get. I would like to ask for advice and suggestions, should I get another pair of females, or try males instead?

I've heard that males make better "lap" pets and are not as active. I like the idea of being able to carry them around with me. But I've read that they can be aggressive, and I'm not a fan of being bitten. I'm also worried that two males will fight and cause each other injury. I've also heard that they secrete some orange substance from their skin which may not have a very pleasant smell.

My two rats are quite active, they climb everywhere and rarely hold still with me. So far they have not bitten me. I let them run around in a small room, I don't take them anywhere else in my house because I'm worried that they may get under furniture and be difficult to find. Any advice on that too? I've seen videos of rats outside their cages and I don't know how the owners trust them running around like that. Sometimes my rats aren't too keen on coming out of their cages and don't move around much, though, I have no idea why. I just hope to myself that its just something they go through from time to time.

Anyway, my question is, should I get males or females in future? Are there any suggestions, advice or experience that you can share with me?

Thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Rat Forum
    Advertisements

I prefer females. I have 6 rats(all girls) and at any given time one of them is game to be a lap rat and just be petted. The same was true when I had three.

Thanks for the insight, I guess females rats would be my first choice.

I prefer females too, but I guess I haven't really given males a very good chance. I've only had two males before and I adopted them very late in their life. They lived in the pet store up until I adopted them so they weren't very keen on people and they never really bonded with me. I may try having males again, but I really like the playfulness of girls.

Have you considered getting males but having them neutered? I've heard that that can do a lot for the aggressiveness and smell.

Quote Originally Posted by JessyGene View Post
    I prefer females too, but I guess I haven't really given males a very good chance. I've only had two males before and I adopted them very late in their life. They lived in the pet store up until I adopted them so they weren't very keen on people and they never really bonded with me. I may try having males again, but I really like the playfulness of girls.

Have you considered getting males but having them neutered? I've heard that that can do a lot for the aggressiveness and smell.
    Actually, I'm a little uncomfortable about having them neutered. I think it would be difficult for me to care for them while they recover, and I'd feel a bit guilty to be honest (I know it's probably a good option but ouch for the rat). I'll look into it though. I was weighing my options and thought that I would get females, since that was the gender of my first rats. But I thought that I would get the opinions of other rat owners, since they might have more experience.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Guilty? About neutering? Why? I'm just curious about the mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by Korra View Post
    Guilty? About neutering? Why? I'm just curious about the mentality.
    Well, I know it's kind of dumb, but if I were in the rat's place I definitely would not want to be neutered.

I'm not sure if the animal understands the difference though, or if it matters to it.

I don't mind neutering if it's necessary though. Stray cats or dogs, for instance. They get everywhere, and it would help to keep the population down.
    Last edited by Arashi; 03-02-2012 at 01:20 PM.

I am a first time rat owner and I chose males. I can't really say why they appealed to me more than females, I think it was the idea of a lap rat, and avoiding female tumours. I don't intend to neuter either. Also, a lot of the videos of rats I watched on youtube that I really liked (Whiskey and Womble from youtube user oPuPo!)

Haha, I love those little bambinos. Yeah, I read that tumors are a common problem. I liked the idea of a lap rat too, but I'm uneasy about aggression, biting, scent marking and the lot.

Are you good with your rats?

i found a video on youtube about a male rat named mikey and hes such a sweet heart!! i have both right now, i have a boy and a girl and i love roxy because she plays and is hyper but she never holds still and gets into to everything, but my male rat sparty just likes being in my lap and getting petted and he never runs away lol i love them both for different reasons and i am getting sparty fixed in a week just so there isnt more oops litters and he does have a scent that isnt the best but i just give him baths once in awhile and its fine.
    *<3 Lindsay Sarah <3* mom to Roxy the ratress, Spartacus the sweet boy rat, Zeus the dobe, Charlee lou the old grump cat, Lil Meow the young catter, Dragon the amazing jumping & biting betta, and two female bettas, Cherry and Blossom! :-)

+ Reply to Thread