Natural remedies for mycoplasma?
RatForum.com is the premier Rat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Natural remedies for mycoplasma?

Default Natural remedies for mycoplasma?

My rat, Koko, has been on and off medications for myco for the last 10 months. Currently she is taking Chloramphenicol which has been keeping her from getting any worse, but she constantly makes breathing noises. Sometimes it seems pretty bad. Does anyone have an ideas for natural remedies that I can try in addition to the medication? Or just general tips on how to make things a little better for her?
    I have a humidifier going in the room, I keep her cage really clean (she uses a litter box and has fleece for bedding), and I occasionally give her a small dark chocolate chip when the noises are really bad.
    I have heard that garlic can help...has anyone tried this? And does it have to be raw or can it be cooked? cuz my rat wont eat it raw.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. I just want to help my Koko so bad; her sister died from it last month and it was awful.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Rat Forum
    Advertisements

oh no! :-( i wish i knew of something to help! im worried one of my rats might have it :-( what was the early signs of it, do u remember? my rat has an apt with the vet this coming week any ways but if he does i kinda want to know before hand. oh rats, why cant you live for 10+ years? :-/
    *<3 Lindsay Sarah <3* mom to Roxy the ratress, Spartacus the sweet boy rat, Zeus the dobe, Charlee lou the old grump cat, Lil Meow the young catter, Dragon the amazing jumping & biting betta, and two female bettas, Cherry and Blossom! :-)

i guess the early signs were sneezing and more porphyrin but she didn't show much of that at all, so it wasn't until she started making little breathing noises that I knew. Its great your taking your rat to the vet cuz its much easier to treat when you catch it early. I read that researchers are working on some successful vaccines for myco but that they will never become commercially available... which is terrible. I sure wish rats lived longer lives.

me too! imagine being able to have them for like 10 years? then getting chemo or other expensive treatments would be worth it! plus the only reason so many rats get sick at a 1, 2, or 3 years is because at 2 they r middled aged and humans get more diseases at 40, 50, and 60. and a 3 yr old rat is like a 90 yr old so of course they r gonna get sick :-( still sucks! i hope that vaccine comes out sound, poor baby rats!! have u tried ucalyptus? (sp) lol that or menthalatum is what always helped me with my cough :-/ lol i dunno if it will help a rat tho.
    *<3 Lindsay Sarah <3* mom to Roxy the ratress, Spartacus the sweet boy rat, Zeus the dobe, Charlee lou the old grump cat, Lil Meow the young catter, Dragon the amazing jumping & biting betta, and two female bettas, Cherry and Blossom! :-)

PLEASE be careful about giving things like eucalyptus to rats. I believe it is poisonous, at least to some species. Always ask your vet first.

Benjamin, Chloe, Lucy, and Lily

Sleep peacefully- Marlena, Snitch, Rosebud, Romeo, Louis, Mendel and Tickles. I love you still.

I am beginning to supplement my rats diet with fresh moringa tree leaves, aka "the miracle tree". Google it, it is truly amazing! I am adding the leaves to my morning green smoothies myself!
    -Shawna Laufer
    Please join/follow my blog!
    http://www.ratwhisperer.net

No raw garlic for rats.

What treatments has your rat been on so far? And for how long each time?

Chloramphenicol is an old world antibiotic used a long time ago for myco, but is mostly used now for penetrating structures with bacterial infections.

so it sounds like there is no natural treatment then? just vet meds... good to know about the poisionous things tho!! please update us on how your rattie is doing ok jessy? i hope more treatments start popping up!

Thanks for all the comments everyone! Doxycycline and baytril didn't help her so thats why my vet gave her chloramphenicol. But I've heard that just because a med didn't work at one point for a rat doesn't mean it wont work later so maybe I will try those again. For now she seems to be staying about the same on the chlor. but if she starts to get any worse maybe I will try those other meds again. And I can't remember exactly how many times and for how long because there has been way too many times in the last 10 months. For now she is doing great other than the breathing noises; shes a good weight, has a good appetite, good energy level. Her spirits still seem good even though her sister died a month ago and she is all alone for now (I've been trying to find a friend for her but seems really hard where i live). Thank goodness she is still a happy rat, but I know a rats health can change so fast. I've been weighing her once a week so that I will be able to detect any weightloss as soon as possible. My other rat got so skinny when she got sick I don't want to see that happen again.

aw :-) rats are so strong! i hope the meds help the second time!! :-)

Closed Thread