Hey sewing experts! What do you think about handheld sewing machines?
RatForum.com is the premier Rat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hey sewing experts! What do you think about handheld sewing machines?

Default Hey sewing experts! What do you think about handheld sewing machines?

Hello all!

I've been thinking about learning some really basic sewing to do some really basic hemming and fixes to some of my fraying clothes, but it would probably also be fun to do some projects (like rattie hammocks!) I don't know if I really want a full sewing machine though, and to be honest, I'm a little nervous about an electric needle moving really fast! So I'm looking into sewing options for a complete beginner.

I was wondering if any sewing experts here might have any thoughts about handheld sewing machines. I looked at some battery powered handheld machines that look nice:
    http://www.amazon.com/Lil-Sew-ZDML-2...sewing+machine

...but I read some reviews about them dropping lots of stitches or the seams being really weak.

I also discovered these little powerless handheld sewing machines that are kind of like staplers:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=AEIA97JX4LL2S

I love powerless tools! Maybe I'm just silly, but I feel uncomfortable with power tools and stuff... I even prefer a hand-crank drill and a powerless carpet sweeper to a vacuum :] If this little stapler-like machine is any good, I would really love it, but I wonder if they're just cheap and poorly made. Are these any good for small sewing jobs? Do they drop stitches, have weak seams, etc?

Thanks for your advice! :]

2. Remove Advertisements
    Rat Forum
    Advertisements

I was afraid of the needle too but you completely control the speed you can go as fast or slow as you want I would invest in a decent machine the little ones always break.

My Rats:Mei, Artemis, Anana

I would NOT suggest any hand held sewing machines to anyone. I went through about 3 of them and they were all horrible. They would be good for simple stitching of a small ripped hole in a thin shirt, or sweat pants (and i mean THIN). But beyond anything else, it is such a waste of time--- dont even get me started with learning to get the thing thread and all. Ugh. lol. Best off buying a small compact starter sewing machine. They have a really good one my 7 yr old niece practices on at walmart for super cheap.

Aimee @ www.TheLittleRedLadyBug.com
    Quality Cage Sets, Hammocks, Hideouts and more!
    Serving the exotic pet community safe affordable bedding since 2005!

You should purchase singer 1512 beginner sewing machine from amazon, ebay or from anywhere else.
    I was also nervous as you are in the beginning.

I think you should buy singer 23-stich 2263 for your beginner work.
    I have this sewing machine

Super Moderator cagedbirdsinging's Avatar

I know this is an old thread, but buying an entry model "real" sewing machine is going to save you time and headache. Look for a Singer or Brother.

Ivan, Isaak, Henrik, Ulrik, and Asa's mama!
    "Are not five sparrows sold for two farthings? And yet not one of them is forgotten by God." - Luke 12:6
    Rest well, sweet girls. Penelope, Paisley, Willow, and Ivy.

Quote Originally Posted by cagedbirdsinging View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but buying an entry model "real" sewing machine is going to save you time and headache. Look for a Singer or Brother.
    Thanks! I was looking at a nice beginner 10 stitch Brother machine. I'm still not sure if I should get a sewing machine, I'm worried that I'd be too afraid of the needle to actually use it! ;] I'm a little squirmy about sharp things, although I don't mind basic needle and thread too much.

Super Moderator cagedbirdsinging's Avatar

I know all about being afraid of needles. It took making a few pillows verrrrry carefully before I was comfortable, but I came to realize that you would have to really try sew yourself if you wanted to, and even then it would be difficult. The way that the standard "foot" around the needle is designed, it just really isn't as much of a hazard as my mind made it out to be. In fact, I think I'd be more afraid of a handheld!

I was just in Walmart tonight for a bag of stuffing and passed a Brother machine they had for $70 or something. Not a bad machine at all. I started on a Brother! I use a vintage Singer now, but sewing machines are pretty much sewing machines.

Keep in mind if you make your own cage liners instead of using bedding and sew your own rat toys and accessories, you can potentially save a lot of money! I don't save any money, of course, because I have to find the cutest fabric for my monkeys even if it's not on sale.

Ivan, Isaak, Henrik, Ulrik, and Asa's mama!
    "Are not five sparrows sold for two farthings? And yet not one of them is forgotten by God." - Luke 12:6
    Rest well, sweet girls. Penelope, Paisley, Willow, and Ivy.

I'm looking at a 10-stitch brother, too! The LS2125I for $63 on Amazon. It seems like a good machine. There was Singer for $75 with automatic tension that everyone loves but the Brother is getting better reviews in general so I think I'm going with that one.

Rest in Peace, Izzie-Bear... You'll be missed. ~Early 2010 to 10/05/2012

+ Reply to Thread