Rat Forum banner

MRR and the Holbrook 1000

8K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  RatAtat2693 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Alot of people do not like PEW because they are plain white & tons of people do not like pink/red eyes at all.

But also PEW is super super commonly bred as feeders. if someone wanted one they could easily get 50 for almost nothing.

PEW is definitely seen as the least favorable rat out there. I'm not saying some people out there don't like them but they are not popular.

They will always be the most difficult to find homes for.

#6 ·
Had a look at the rescue page out of curiosity, what an awesome rescue!
Wish I could foster/adopt if I was near (or in the same country) haha. I would adopt a couple of the oldest PEWs in a heartbeat!
I especially love the success stories page, think Ill have to suggest that to my local rescue..
Best of luck to the ratties and the rescue! :D Hope they all find good homes!

#10 ·
The store is a little wonky, but everything is up to date. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to use the contact form. It's checked frequently, though they're definitely over booked at the moment. You can also useinfo@mainelyratrescue.orghttp://mainelyratrescue.org/store/
Thanks:) I ended up making a Paypal donation. Good to know for next time though:) Also which Harkan Teklad blocks are you using, it doesn't say on the website. What is the best site to buy HT to send you guys in case someone is interested here? Also would you take Oxbow Regal?

#12 ·
I think, just once, I'd love to play with 1000 friendly, well socialized rats at once.... I'm thinking it would be insane fur-ious fun. But 4 rats already have me stretched beyond my limit. No one is getting trained properly as it is.

That said, pink eyed rats are about as sweet and intelligent as any other rats, but they can have limited eyesight that can get worse in direct sunlight. Which makes some less desirable for certain training purposes.

#18 ·
I searched for more info about the Holbrook rescue but couldn't find anything but what is reported by MMR. Weren't the police involved for the eviction or animal services or the media at all? Does anyone know why pet rats were housed in a commercial building? Was the person paying a rent for a commercial building to have hundreds of free ranging pet rats??? It is obviously a case of animal cruelty, yet nothing was reported to the authorities as there is no investigation or anything in the media.

#19 ·
I'm in the process of interviewing and typing an article for the media. We're not sure why there isn't more information about this out. When we participated in the Jersey 500, where someone dumped 500 PEW rats in the highway, there was coverage everywhere.

My guess is this isn't as public as the highway dumping.

#25 ·
That's great. I just read the entire article. MRRR and the other rescue that helped did a tremendous work! For the life of me, I can't understand what took that guy so long to get help, or even simply realize that rats were getting out of their cage if the first two females got pregnant! Anyway, great work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.