Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Kleo, Manta, Bean
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!

I'm new here and I have been planning on getting rats and will sometime in the near future. I know that 1/2 inch (or 1.27cm) bar spacing is supposed to be fine in pretty much all cases, at least according to my research but I would like to hear it from other rat people too. So would 1/2 inch bar spacing (horizontal), as in the Critter Nation cage, be okay for even 5 week old females?

Don't know yet if we are getting females or males, but I want to be sure that if we spend a lot of money on a Critter Nation cage, that it would be fine for any rats we would be getting.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Yes, 1/2" is perfect for rats of all ages and sizes. If you go any narrower, it becomes difficult to use accessories that clip onto or go through the bars (like water bottles).

From my understanding, there are several EU cage options that are similar to the Critter Nation but maybe better priced. Do you have access to cages like the Savic Royal Suite or the Little Zoo Venturer?

·
Registered
Kleo, Manta, Bean
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, 1/2" is perfect for rats of all ages and sizes. If you go any narrower, it becomes difficult to use accessories that clip onto or go through the bars (like water bottles).

From my understanding, there are several EU cage options that are similar to the Critter Nation but maybe better priced. Do you have access to cages like the Savic Royal Suite or the Little Zoo Venturer?
Thank you and all the others for your answers! It is great to hear that the bar spacing is appropriate for all rats!

Unfortunately I don't have access to the Little Zoo Venturer and there is only a Savic Royal Suite XL that I would have access to but that is a little more expensive than the Critter Nation. I can't really find any cage similar to those than the Critter Nation here, I don't know then if some abroad store would ship here but that could be expensive too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts