Rat Forum banner

How many new playmates for Dax? 1 or two?

• One

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Two...ya know you want two

• As many as will fit in your pockets!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I are soon getting Dax another little friend. The question is, should we get 1 or 2? I realize that getting 2 more (especially if they are young) will give Dax a break from baby-bounciness, and then, if/when Dax eventually passes, the two will still have each other. And 2 rats isn't much more to care for than 1 rat, and 3 rats isn't much more than 2 rats.... however I can see this rapidly getting out of hand (10 isn't much different than 7.....etc...). IF we get 2 new ones, I'll have to think of a different living situation. Dax currently lives in a converted clear storage bin with mesh top. But it is not big enough for 3 rats. And having just spent $300 on vet bills (and still losing Kira), my budget seems tight.

However, we want what will be best for the little ratties, so I'd love to hear from anyone about 2 vs 3 rats. We're traveling to a family gathering near Philly this weekend, and I decided I had to take Dax with us. It's a long time in the car, but I just can't leave here here all alone, even for 2 nights. So the Rattie is hitting the Road! :)

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I know this isn't on topic, but I think a storage bin would not be much, if at all, better than an aquarium, unless the sides are mesh as well. And I know from my own rats that plastic seems to hold smell very well. In my opinion, you should upgrade your cage to a good wire one, whether you'll have two rats or three.

I think if you can get/make a cage big enough, definitely get two more. It won't get out of hand if you don't let it. Three isn't much more work than two, but six is a lot more work than three! I have six right now, after telling myself three was plenty a few months ago :roll: But I have little self control, and everyone who should have talked me out of it was convinced when I said "Five rats isn't more work than four" and then "Six isn't more work than five..." But as long as you and your husband agree to not get any more, hopefully you guys can make sure you each stick to that! (I finally made my boyfriend make me promise not to get any more rats, after I get my seventh "last one")

·
Registered
208 Posts
As many as can fit in those pockets! :p

Seriously though, I'd go with two if for nothing else than so the new little ones can have company during quarantine.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I like to keep more than pairs so if one passes the other still has company. Right now I have five ladies. All are within a month of eachother (Three are three months old two are six weeks). I dunno... I like having a group of rats but do whatever you think will work for your situation best.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts