Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
Ok question time. I have been told by people that if i want the rat to be bonded to me to have one, if i want the rat to bond to another rat have 2. From reading stuff on this site, i read to always have more than one. In one cage i have my pair, in another cage i have 4 girls. Then there is the 2 cages with single girls. Coffee, who is the second newest and is traumatized by other rats. I kept them apart, there cages were side by side so they could smell each other, i let them run around on the bed together (the other 4) and they were fine. If i put them in a cage together they wouldn't leave her alone and she would cry and get defensive. This happens even when they are loose and running on my daughters bed now. Do I still try to put her with another rat? And should i try with allykins the other single? She is the youngest so maybe she would be a better match. Any suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
174 Posts
If crying and squeaking, getting defensive, are the worst of the introductions, it shouldn't be any big deal. Typical rule is "no blood. no foul." I have three females who are littermates--sisters--and they fight, scream at each other and such.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Exactly... As Katherose said, the motto is, "No blood, no foul." They have to work out a pecking order, and push each other's buttons for awhile. Unless things turn nasty (bloodshed), it's all good. Sounds heartless, but 9 times out of 10, things work out okay. If, during intros, things aren't going well on a step no matter what, then take a step back. Also remember - one of the best things for rats to bond over is yummy food they can't run off with. A bowl of something like baby food works well. And yes, even after, they will bicker like we do with our siblings and roommates. ;)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I don't know who would say keep only one if you want it to bond with you.

No rat should be purposely kept all on its own. The only case where one should be kept on its on is if it is ill or disabled in some manner & should not be around others. Intros don't always work out. If you have a rat that is either the aggressor & hurts other by bloodshed or is the bottom that is constantly being ripped up by others.... then maybe they should be on their own. Squabbles are normal so long as you don't see bloodshed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts