Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was second part of intro of 2 young intact rats to 1 much older neutered rat. Just as first time, today again I was concerned for the safety of youngsters. But it turned out it was the older guy who was in peril... Sort of. Everything went well in bath tub, then on the bathroom floor, and THEN... they young guys started humping the old rat! He easily fended off the advances being a large strong man that he is. :)

What's more, when I took my older guy away, they youngsters attempted to mount each other. I know they are entering puberty and things below belt line begin to work just now. It seemed like it was the introducion that triggered this behaviour, they had not done this before. May it be because the older rat lives with two un-spayed ladies, and carries some of their scent? Has anyone seen that happen at intros?

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
I would bet that what he did was spark an interest in hierarchies which hadn't been much in their young minds. When I had my boys, Remus was neutered before his two sons. They never fussed much but as soon as Remus entered the picture, they suddenly had to work out who was toprat.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts