Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my two little rats, both female, for over two months now. I'm amazed at how much I've been able to bond with them in the short amount of time. They're content to be picked up and don't run away when it's time to go back to their cage. They also love to run around on me and try to tunnel into my clothes (the scratch marks are a testament to that). I do have some questions though that I think will help me.

1. How long/often do you take your rats out of the cage? It's not feasible for my rats to be free roam. Right now they have the double critter nation cage and a wealth of hanging tents, tunnels, and other fun stuff to play with in their cage. I usually only take them out once or twice a day. I try to let them run around the room for at least a half hour a day and play with the toys there. Otherwise I make sure to see them half a dozen times or so a day to open the cage and let them crawl on me, pet them, and give them treats.

I'd like to leave them out longer but every barrier I put up to keep them out of trouble, they find something new to make an issue. They eat the paint off the corners of the room, they eat/tear the carpet, and they're crazily adept at finding new ways to jump over higher and higher barriers. I try to keep them out for longer than 20-30 minutes but this seems to be the mark where they get bored with their toys and start trying to explore areas they're not allowed in. That's when I have to put them away.

2. Do your rats bite your socked feet or your hands from under a blanket? My rats never bite me unless they can't see me. I'm pretty sure that they don't understand my socked feet are my actual feet and that the hand on top of the blanket is my hand. Any way to teach them to stop?

3. Do you have your rats in a room you're in often? My rats are in my game room. If I want to play video games or watch TV on my big screen I sit in the room with them but they spend most of their time sitting at the corner of their cage watching me or trying to find a way out of the cage to get to me. They try and eat the pans of the cage or sometimes even the bars themselves. Should I keep them in a room I go into less?

·
Registered
366 Posts
I know exactly where you are coming from. I have had my two girls since the end of September. It's amazing how much we have gone through in these two months. Their housing has changed drastically from day one and I have learned a lot from this site. I have also learned to be tolerant of posts on this site as I sometimes take things negatively.
Endora and Esmerelda are my therapy. Every day I miss my brother and niece who were taken from me in April of 2014. Somehow having these little furry "daughters" make facing every day more palatable. My heart melts every time they come to the top of the cage to greet me with kisses.
I'll give you my spin on your points:

1. I usually do "poopie patrol" twice a day. Once before I go to work. I also end up putting the cage back in order. Both of the furries get some one on one time. The second time is before bed. This time I get the cage in order and then I was letting them out into a playpen with supervision as they would climb out. Last week I braved the computer room and started free-ranging with the door closed, as I have cats. This has been loads of fun except for two nights ago when Esmerelda squeezed behind the bookcase and I had to almost tilt it over to get her. Situation resolved as the bookcase is now flush with the wall. Times vary. Morning ritual is 30 minutes, evening is 1hour. On the days off, I squeeze in a little more.

2. Neither of my ladies has nipped me yet. Endora tried crawling up my pant leg, though. She's the daring one. Esmerelda is more reserved but she has her moments. She's starting to get back at Endora when she steals her food. I have heard squeaking at them when they do something wrong might give them the idea not to do it.

3. My rats are in my bedroom. I see them constantly. They will come to the top for kisses and then they get the idea that I am not in there for them. Sometimes they do run about in a crazy fashion to get my attention. For a while, Endora would purposely knock over one of the cardboard boxes I use for houses because she knew I was going to open the cage to right it. I check on them a lot, so they sometimes know and wait for me.

Both have a crazy amount of energy. When I free range, they never sit still for very long. Endora is constantly climbing and exploring. Esmerelda hides a lot, especially in the pile of stuffed animals. If I sit or lay on the floor, they take time out to crawl all over me. Endora has taken to crawling up my sleeves and runs around in my shirt. I have taken to wearing a hoodie with long sleeves to try and keep a barrier between her and my skin. I am still getting over a bout with shingles and my skin is sensitive.

Oh, I do treats when I do the cage patrol. We are into kale right now.

There is a lot of great people on this site. They'll give you a lot to think about. My advice is adapt it to your situation. Don't let any negative comments get to you. I did and ended up having some anxieties that drove my husband crazy.

Congrats on your fuzzies!

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
1. How long/often do you take your rats out of the cage?
Mine typically get about an hour out, thats about 15 minutes or so in the morning and 45 mins in the evening. Some days i cant give them that full amount, some days i can give them more. I do have a rat room though so i've made it safe for them. I still dont let them free range unsupervised right now as i'm not 100% settled with its safety yet. A previous rat room was sorted enough they got 4 or 5 hours out every day but i found that i personally spent less time with them from that so its a balance.

You could look at different areas you could play with them in, often a hallway or bathroom is far easier tot rat proof than a room you sit in often. You might not use it for every free range but its a good change of venue for you all.

2. Do your rats bite your socked feet or your hands from under a blanket?
This made me laugh a bit, yes there is a very common thing for some rats to be so called "sock monsters" its not every rat or group of rats but is more common in girls. They are drawn to nip bits of human covered in fabric and dont do it maliciously, its just that they dont know what they are nipping. Elbows and knee's are also common places. Its much less common for them to do it to bare feet for instance. I have a rather vivid image of a group of girls who were a bit notourious chasing my husband across the floor trying to nip his feet. (Note personal experiments has eliminated the cleaness of both socks and feet as factors in this).

3. Do you have your rats in a room you're in often?
Currently no they have there own rat room, but I have done in the past (i've had rats for just under 30 years now). I would keep them in there, they will enjoying watching you as much as you enjoy watching them. Yes they will attempt to guilt trip you into more out time, but thats normal, there always going to be trying to guilt trip you into something. Its not depression them sitting so near you in the cage, they just like you and like to sleep close to there family.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Mine get out time every day, about 15-30 minutes. I use a playpen... made of shower board (flexible plastic about 2' tall) connected with velcro. I put rat-safe toys in the playpen, but nothing they could use to climb out. So far this works well. The play pen makes a large oval (it is two, 8' pieces of board attached to each other) so it is big enough for me to get in with them too. I usually put special treats and veggies in the pen and toys they don't have access to in their cage (mainly tunnels that they tear up or pee / poo in if left in their cage). They seem to enjoy it. I see them briefly in the morning (check water / food) and at night also (same routine). In the past, my rats have gotten free roam in the bathroom, which was the easiest room for me to rat-proof. I prefer the playpen as I am sure it is 100% safe and they cannot damage anything in it. I supervise them while in there though, as a super motivated rat might be able to jump 2' to get out. If the pen was 3' tall, that would be perfect as they couldn't get out.

Mine are in my critter room... They share it with my reptiles and dwarf hamsters. They get to watch me when I do cage cleaning for the other animals, etc. but I'm not in there all the time.

They do nip feed / hands if covered in fabric. Less so if my hands / feet are bare. As the other poster said, they know not to nip skin but don't know it is your hands / feet inside material.

·
Registered
452 Posts
1. My rats get playtime about 45mins-1 hour every night. They are in my bedroom and I have kind of rat proofed it (cut cardboard and polystyrene pieces under the bed to block them from going under). They are not allowed on my bed, Wolf has got this but Chamois still tries to get onto the bed from time to time.
If they are chewing things they shouldnt be, you could try using some anti-chew paste/liquid that is made for dogs. Put them where usually like to chew, and the bad taste will get them to stop after a couple of times. But it would be good to double-check that they are safe to use on rats.

2. Mine are males and Ive never had a problem with them biting me.. Maybe try the squeaking method like someone suggested above?

3. I see my rats and they see me A LOT as they are in my bedroom. Only sometimes nearing the playtime, one of them will get impatient and start gnawing on the bars making it pretty obvious that they want to be let out. But rats gnawing on the bars is not a good habit so try not to open the cage or approach them when/straight after someone chewing on the bars.
If your rats chewing on the pans and the bars is a potential problem (the pan breaking?) you should try to think of ways to stop them maybe using the anti-chew paste, but if not then dont let the chewing bother you when you go into the room. Soon they will learn that chewing the pans and bars is pointless and will just sit and watch you or patiently wait for playtime :) Instead of avoiding the room, visit the room more but without interacting with the rats so that they learn faster that chewing on stuff wont get them on a fast track to being let out

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
1. I am very lucky to have a rat room. An extra room in my house just for them. If I had only one sex, id let them out 24/7 but as I keep both they each get the time out split in half. Well actually currently Ive been putting them away at night because the door isnt great at staying shut and until I fix that.... lol But I would say each sex gets about 5-8 hours out of their cage a day.

Though they do not usually spend that entire time out. Their cages are left open for them to go back and forth.
My boys are lazy butt heads. Only 1 of my boys really enjoys his free range time. Another only enjoys it if I forget to close the door and he can escape the room, if not he will just go back to his cage. The boys will come out for a few minutes here and there but mostly stay in their cage.
My girls love their free time on the other hand. They go back to the cage to sleep sometimes.

I always suggest letting them out as much as you possibly can.

2. I dont have that exact issue. Though I like almost never wear socks. When my girls are out I almost always slip on shoes because two of my girls love to nip toes. IDK why. They would never bite anything but toes. My one girl actually hunts my toes and it is alittle bit scary lmao! I would assume with socks though that they are confused and nipping to figure out what it is and/or try to steal your socks. lol

3. All but two of my rats are kept in the rat room. The other two are kept in my "living room", I dont actually ever do anything in that room but my house is fairly open and it is between what I use as my living room and the kitchen so it gets tons of foot traffic.

In the forever ago past I had my rats in the living room but I dont really like it as I keep odd hours and tend to watch tv/play games pretty loud. I didnt think it was fair to them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I got Thelma & Louise in April and figure they're about 6 months old right now. John and I bonded with them right away and it's been fascinating to watch their personalities develop over this time. We have a Rat Manor cage and we keep it in a corner of the living room in our apartment. We didn't want to put them in the bedroom because not only is there not enough room for them there, but we were worried that they might keep us awake at night being nocturnal. So we all are happy with their location.

I take them out in the mornings immediately after my shower. They free range in my living room/kitchen/hallway and hall bathroom for 30 to 45 minutes depending on how early I get up. I usually get to work later than I'd like because I give them a lot of attention each morning. Louise has one cubbie hole in the kitchen that she likes to hide treats in. We had to block off all the other openings as she chewed through the dishwasher hose and caused a flood. (When the maintenance guy pulled out the dishwasher, there was a huge pile of things she'd stolen: pens, dog milk bones, candies, tea lights. It was hilarious. We were lucky he liked us and was able to fix the hose without any issues.) For some reason, Thelma never enters Louise's cubbie hole in the kitchen. Of course that could change anytime, but for now, she doesn't.

Louise's favorite game in the morning is to climb up my body to reach the kitchen counter to forage for anything that she wants to store in her cubbie hole. She'll grab wrapped mints and soup crackers and each time she finds something, she'll run back down my back and legs to take her treasure straight to the cubbie hole. She'll do this 3-4 times while I'm putting together my vitamin supplements. Now, just this week, Thelma has started climbing up me to reach the counter as well. She doesn't take anything to stash away, but she enjoys thoroughly inspecting everything up there.

Later when I'm doing my hair and makeup, they keep running into the hall bathroom to visit me as I'm doing that and very often run up me to reach the sink counter as well. Louise loves it when I put the water on at a trickle. She sits practically under it and drinks and bathes herself. She doesn't appear to be the least bit disturbed about getting wet. Thelma usually stays on my shoulder and doesn't show any interest in the water.

John is usually still sleeping when I leave so I put them back in their cage before leaving for work as I'm not comfortable leaving them unsupervised since they have a real propensity for chewing things they shouldn't. Thelma doesn't usually mind that much but recently, Louise started shrieking like I was killing her when I picked her up to go into her cage. I think that she views her and Thelma as equal family members of our household and that the should have access to everything just like John and I do. LOL Honestly, if I could get them to stop chewing power cords, I would leave their cage open 24/7.

Sometimes John will let them out some more once he gets up. After dinnertime, we let them out again for anywhere from 1-3 hours, so they really do get lots of free range time. I have to watch them to make sure they don't chew stuff. Thelma likes to chew the paint off the corners of the rooms like your rats do. I tell her "No chew" and she stops instantly, but will start again later.

I am always barefoot at home, but John likes to wear socks and both Thelma & Louise love to nip his feet. There's just something irresistible about it to them.

I am glad that we had an old couch before getting them because they have chewed it to death, even through the bottom of it tunneling up into the back cushions. They're constantly stealing newspaper and stuffing it up the couch. We can hear them right through the back cushions. Since it is an old couch that we had planned to replace, I have chosen not to care that much about it. Fortunately, it's the only piece of furniture that they are interested in.

The longer we have them, the more affectionate they get. When they were babies, they would sleep inside our clothes or on the back of my neck under my hair. Then they outgrew all of that and were on the move constantly every time they got out of the cage. Now, they are still very active, but I've noticed that they enjoy spending more time on my shoulders than they ever have before. I sometimes take them for short walks around my apartment building. They know what the word "Outside" means and get really excited whenever they hear it. There is a small garden area across from our door and I have let them loose in it. I only do this one at a time so that I can keep an eye on the rat at all times. Louise loves to run down the sidewalk sniffing at all my neighbor's front doors. I don't take them out like that very often because they don't obey me when they're having fun. But I do like them knowing where they live and they do know which door is ours. But there are some areas nearby that I think if they got loose in there, I'd never see them again, so I'm extremely careful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts