Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I live in Boston and recently was called to work a job in New York City for two months. I have left them in the care of my father before but never for this long, and I don't think I ever would leave them for that long. Since NYC is only a 4 hour drive from Boston, I was thinking about coming home every other weekend. Would that be enough? Should I find a way to bring them with me? I would have no problem bringing them but I am going to be living with a real neat freak who isn't too keen on rats, so I figure instead of forcing him to live with them, I would just visit them every couple weeks and have my dad care for them while I'm away.

Does that sound okay? In your personal opinion, is that something you would do? I just lost one of my girls so I am so scared something will happen while I'm away. It's so hard I dont know what to do.

Maybe I'll just bring them and have my room mate suck it up.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Definitely don't force someone to endure rats if they aren't comfortable with it. My wife has severe arachnophobia, and I would probably punch anybody who tried to bring a pet spider in our home in the hopes she'll just suck it up. Your roommate says that he's a neat freak, but you don't know if that's the real reason he opposes rats.

I'd suggest a compromise with him. Spend the first week or two in NYC with just you and the roommate. Establish a routine. Get to know what bugs him and what doesn't. Then bring up the question of bringing the rats. Show him pictures of not just your cage but the area around the cage. Hopefully your cage is neat without bedding strewn all over the surrounding floors. Ask him if he's willing to a 2-week trial period. If he agrees, then bring the rats home. Be prepared to take them back after 1 week if he really doesn't like them. But after 2 weeks, see what he says about the rats. Most importantly, abide by his decision. Not everyone is comfortable with pets, and it is wrong to force pets on them. Besides, do you know that he's not a psycho and won't try to flush your rats down the toilet when you're not there? This is why you need to make sure you can get to know the person and establish a trust. If you just barge in with animals when he definitely doesn't want animals, then that trust is gone.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Your plan is workable, but of course finding a way to have them with you would be preferable. If you can't negotiate things with the room mate, then your rats will be okay with your visits.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts