Rat Forum banner

2 Months Old

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  twilight 
#1 ·
I'm fostering a mom rat who has a litter of 13+. They are around 2 months old. Mom is pretty thin from feeding so many. Can I seperate the mom from the babies at this age? They are eating and drinking on their own. :)

Oh and if anyone is interested, they need homes. They are all blue hoddies! We are in Northern California.

#2 ·
2 months? Eight Weeks?

They should have already been split male/female at that age, and yes, it should be safe to take them from mom. Though at this point would Mom even still be feeding?

#4 ·
Yea, they should have taken her babies away at about 5 1/2 weeks old. Have they been sexed? they are old enough to breed and the brothers might try and mate with thier sisters and possibley momma.

#6 ·
They way I sex them is I check tummys for nipples if your having a hard time with their gen. Only the girls will have nipples. If you like I can post a pic of my 11 day old girl?

#10 ·
You're definitely going to have to be ready for pregnancies if they are 2 months old... I hope for your sake, you don't have many if any! But be prepared...

Babies should be weaned and separated by 5 weeks. Any longer, and the females can (and will) get pregnant. By 5 weeks, the boys can also get mama pregnant.

Be sure if anyone adopts any females that they are aware that they very well may be pregnant. I'd suggest keeping all the girls for 3 weeks, like forensic said.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.