Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. 2 questions here today.

First. I have two dumbo females. I am wanting to get another rat and was wondering if it would have to be a dumbo..Just because they are so much smaller than a hooded rat or such??? Also , these two started getting along within a day..will they accept another rat so easily ? Any special tips ? I know the basic ones.

Second. One of my girls , the larger one , is very timid of being picked up and petted. Once being cuddled she settles down..SLIGHTLY .. i have tried everything i can think of to gain her trust. Also we allow both of them free range time. But she has a habit of running..and hiding , a few times shes has been hidden over night ((i left food and water available of course)) So any tips ??

Thanks alot xx

·
Registered
174 Posts
Re: 2 questions on A possible new rat ? And my larger doe ra

Dumbo just means the placement of their ears--on the sides of their head instead of on top. Hooded is the markings of a rat. Neither have much to do with size as far as I know. If you want another rat, you'll have to go through the quarantining procedure here.

On the second question, it's entirely possible that she just wants to explore. If she's not fear-pooping or squeaking, maybe she just doesn't like being held and petted. My females don't. They would much rather explore and run around.

Where do you let them free range? If you don't want her to run and hide, I would suggest enclosing the area you let them free range in. I use my bathroom--just get everything up off the floor that they might be interested in chewing on or that could be harmful to them. You can put ducktape or boards over any areas she can get into if you can't do that though. You have to rat proof the area they free range in to keep them from getting into things they shouldn't.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts

I was about to say... dumbo doesn't mean smaller rat. I have a dumbo rat that is huge!!!!

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Ok thanks you guys , i had just read in various places that they are usually smaller. One of mine is actaully rather big i thought it was a male when i first saw her ! lol. Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts