Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have a few questions on my rats. Let me post pictures of their playpen below so you know what it looks like.

Room Property Furniture Desk Bed
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
Floor Flooring Table Laminate flooring Furniture

That's the pen, it's in total about 2ft tall, but my more active and exploitative rat, Katyusha, keeps trying to jump and find a way out, and while I have done everything I can think of to prevent her, including adding things on it to make her slip and not get traction, she still keeps trying and I fear that she is going to get out. If she does get out nothing will hurt her, she's in my room, but I just don't want her to leave that area. I've read that some people will use a spray bottle and spray them when they try to jump to get out of the playpen or whatever. Would that work? Any ideas on that? I don't want to do anything to hurt her, idk if a spray bottle is a good/bad idea. My other rat, Mishka, is perfect haha. She loves to cuddle with me, be with me, and just chill. She's much less active. Katyusha, is well....a problem child, if you will :) But I love her so much :3

1:My next question. I want to get 2 Male rats from a trusted Breeder. The cage I currently have is the "Critter Nation" rat cage. It's got 2 stories on it and can hold up to 11 rats from what I read. I am wanting to put my females in the top and the males in the bottom. Here are my questions.

2:Will the rats act okay if the males are NOT neutered, and females are living up above them? I don't plan on letting them out in the playpen together, meaning I won't let the males play with the females, but I will let all the males out at once and all the females out at once, but not all at the same time. Can I do this? Will this affect their behavior if they are living close to each other but not living WITH each other?

3:If I get 2 males from a breeder, who I believe are litter-mates, they can live together with no issues, no?

4: What are some good toys for their playpen? Ideas, anyone? :D

That's all I have for now, but please, answer all my questions and GIVE ME ANY EXTRA INFORMATION THAT YOU CAN. I want to make sure I don't do anything wrong, hence all the questions. Thanks, guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I don't have any help on the playpen. One of my girls goes absolutely crazy with trying to escape everything and has so far always found a way. Two feet seems like it may be high enough but if anything is near that she can climb or jump from she will. Build a higher wall is the only suggestion lol

How many female rats do you have? I am assuming you have the double critter nation? I'd probably go 4-5 is a good number per cage as long as you clean it often and they get along well.

Alot of people do keep males and females separated from each other but in the double critter nation, one on top and one on the bottom. And it seems to be fine. Though I have recently gotten males in the same room as my girls and they all drive each other crazy being near one another. And I have noticed my girls will get into some fights when they are near the boys.

Most male rats live together just fine. It ofcourse depends on the rats personality. Sometimes during their hormone fuled years they may fight. Neutering them can help.

I like lots of cardboard boxes for my free range area. They love to climb, hide, and dig.

·
Registered
168 Posts
In my opinion, spraying your rats is not a good idea. If they are fighting and it's serious, then ok. But I don't know, that seems not so kind. I wouldn't feel loved and they might harbor mistrust and fear.I think the rats will do fine. There might be phases during which the females or males act out due to hormonal swings, but all in all, they should be fine.Mailing poster tubes attached in different configurations to cereal boxes via duct tape is fun. A small bin with tons of shredded fabric in which they may rummage.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
A DCN cage by the way is rated for 8 adult rats. Just FYI ;)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Males are naturally territorial.. The reason they get on is the lack of females, abundant food and high population density which changes the social structure. I would say its possible to have them bellow but they will have way more stress hormones than normal which is bad for their health.:D I'd stick with a same sex group or a mix of one neutered boy and a group of females.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Why not just get the boys neutered so they can all live together?

I agree about not using the spray bottle. I also think it would be difficult to keep any active rat from trying to get out of the enclosure you made. After all, rats are extremely intelligent. :) What about having them play in a bathroom instead? I have tips on rat-proofing a bathroom in this blog post. If you do use a bathroom as a play area, it's especially important to check for openings underneath any cabinets.

How about getting a Wodent Wheel to have out in the play area?

You're asking great questions! Looking forward to seeing pictures of your ratties!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts