Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,well i just had milky out of her cage for a hug cos shes ill at the moment. She was all snuggled up in my dressing gown and then she ran over to my neck and bit me really hard! I was so shocked i screamed loudly and she got a shock to. I told her off and put her back in her cage and she seemed to know shed done wrong Iv never had a bite from her before! Anyone know whats up? Is it cos shes ill?

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
her illness could be the root of it. she may not have as much control of herself like she used to so a gentle grooming nibble may have become something stronger by mistake. it could be age too. 2 if about 75-80 for a human. i've had older rats get confused about things. for instance i had a rat that in her youth would hold your finger in her mouth like shaking hands, it was very gentle and for her was most definately a greeting. when she got older her senses started to fail her and she didn't know where the finger stopped and the treated started. if i bathed in something that had a nice smell and she was on me, well my whole body turned into a treat...

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
When rats are sick, their regular behaviour can change. Normally sweet rats can bite. Often people don't realize they aren't well but the temperament change can be a sign of impending illness or pain.

What's she sick with? Is she in any pain?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
ginger bit my daughter a few days before her head tilt developed. i should have realised then that something was wrong as she had never bitten anyone before.

might be advisable to get milky checked by the vet... it could be a developing brain tumour.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Well like every one said it could just be because she's sick, or her age is just catching up with her. I hope she's feeling better :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanx for the replies everyone,milky has respiratory problems,shes had it her whole life. Shes had countless treatments for it but shes getting worse lately. I think she must be in a bit pain so i might have her put to sleep if her next treatment doesnt work cos its been going on for so long and its not fair on her.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts