Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m new to the rat scene, well really my kid is. We have some critter nation/ferret nation cages we would like to move them into. I’ve seen a few posts about “Home Depot/Lowe’s cement pan” but I can’t seem to locate them. Any links you could share would be awesome!

I also saw mention of litter training. How does this get trained to rats? I know they are smart and probably learn easily and I have the available corner litter pan available.

Thanks for any advice and help… trying to get the kiddo moving along with set up.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I hope what you have is a critter nation! Ferret nations have bars that are way to wide and will allow most rats to escape. You can also take measurements of the cage and have plexiglass cut at ace hardware. This will fit more snugly and allow for more space(the cement pans take away a bit of floorspace unless you take the bottom grate out).
For litter training you choose a bedding that's different from what you normally use(I like to use pine pellets from tractor supply because it's cost effective and rat safe) and a little dust pan with a broom from a dollar store. You sweep up the feces and put it into the litter pan. When you clean the litterbox you only take out 50-75% of the litter so that they get the idea to poop in there. I personally was unsuccessful of training my rats to urinate in the litter box, but many people say putting a smooth stone in the litterbox will get them to pee in it(I tried this method and they honestly didn't like the rock). You'll want to find someone to secure the litter pan onto the cage or on the floor because they will "Redecorate" and move the litter pan as well as knock it over all over the place

·
Registered
Cloud and Dew (Pearl Merle and American Mink, both with Irish markings)!
511 Posts
Everything Dizzy said is correct, and here’s the link to the pan if you do decide to use it over plexiglass.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Everyone has given great info, so I'll just add that if you are in the US then you can get metal deep pans for the critter nation from the bass equipment website: Critter Replacement Pans

I have the stainless steel base pan, a custom pan, and side pans, and they are awesome! Chew proof (unlike the tub or coroplast - both viable options, but terrible if your rats decide to chew them), easy to clean, perfect fit (main issue with the tub is that its a TIGHT fit - I used them for 2 years, and once you manage to shove them in the cage you don't want to remove them lol. Of course you can cut them down some, but that makes the edges a chew magnet for rats), easy to clean, urine and odor proof, just awesome all around. A bit pricey, but completely worth it imo and I've now had mine for nearly 2.5 years and would never go back!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts