Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rat tempeltin is a very nice,gentle,smart rat...but sometimes he runs on his side and he flips upsidedown alot...he also tilts his head to the side when he walks and sometimes he will have a moment where he stops in one place.looks at you and doesnt move..almost like a daydream...My mom asked me if i maybe droped him when i got him and i said no i dont remeber droping him...then we thought that maybe those weird things were seigers..like he was born with a small seiger things..but he didnt have them when he was younger.....and he is not even a year yet...but very close.Please help,,i am worried...

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm still a novice when it comes to rats, but I have to ask if your rat is an albino (white with pink eyes)? It sounds like there might be more problems going on, but albino rats are known to sway because their vision tends to be very poor.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
It sounds like a very bad ear infection.

Usually once the ear infection gets bad the head tilts to one side and then as it progresses they start to run on the side, in circles, or roll over.

It needs to be treated with aggressive antibiotics or the rat will likely die when the infection gets too much for their body to handle.

Another option could be a tumor or something else neurological.

In any case, the rat needs to see a vet, asap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts