Rat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ruby is laying still, not moving if i pet her she just lays there, she doesnt move at all. shes breathing, her eyes are red/gooey as if somebody got a black eye and bled. she was supposed to go to the vets this friday for surgery to remove her tumors/spay her. i cant take her today i have not a $ to my name after taking my cat who got hurt to the vets last week(which was when ruby was originally supposed to go but my cat fell and broke something in her chest and her lungs filled with fluids, spent every $ i had for her emergency care and she didnt make it). i was hoping ruby would be okay for another week...but shes not. i dont think shes going to make it past today and def not til friday when i will have the 500$ for the vet bills for her. is there anything i can do to ease her way away from me...? :( :( :(

·
Registered
468 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear about your rattie. =( I would say to just hold her and pet her, and give her some treats if she'll eat them, maybe? I don't know...I haven't had to experience this yet. But maybe just keep her warm and comfy, keep her with you and hold her. That's what I would do, anyway.

Good luck, and I hope it all works out ok..

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im afraid to move her she isnt moving on her own. her bed(my old t shirts) were crusted to her nose i moved it off(looked really painful when it came off, but shes breathing a little better). shes twitched a little but didnt move. im afraid if i try to pick her up i might hurt her. guess all i can do is sit with her and pet her until she passes ;[ i dont think she could eat.

her rear end is black!!!!!!!?!?!?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Um...I'm not sure, but that part about her bottom kind of makes me think that she may have lost control of her bodily functions, which happens a lot when they're getting ready to pass. If you don't feel comfortable moving her, I would definitely just say to sit near her, talk to her, pet her, and try to keep her calm and comfortable.

Give the little dear a scritch for me.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Just hold her, comfort her. It sounds as though right now that's all you can do. I've tried to always hold mine at 'the time' (I even sleep with them in a small cage in my bed) as the contact is comforting to them sometimes. It's also a good way (holding her) of keeping her warm. Talk to her, reassure her (I've always found they react to the sound of your voice)

Have you tried rehydrating her in any way? It might be worth trying - even if it's just to stop her mouth drying out.

Poor little girl - I hope she's strong enough to pull through.

Our thoughts are with you

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tried to put a little bit of water in a medicine dropper, she couldnt really move much to drink it, was also afraid of her choking on it and passing away in pain. i called my vet and they helped me out since she was there a couple weeks ago and my cat just passed. just had to pay to put her to sleep. they gave her some anesthia then the needle after she fell asleep. ;/ vet said most likely something else was going on with her orgrans besides the cancer to cause her to go downhill so fast since her last visit. ;/ horrible past 2 weeks for me and my pets.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
so sorry to hear about your loss

I was going to post that she was most likely beyond being aware of pain by the way you described things... the things that made here her.... well that had moved on & it was just a matter of the mechanics ceasing to function

I've been there, I know that when death comes & the body fails to stop functioning you really don't sense their presence anymore. I went through this several times in a row with a litter that failed to make it past 2 months of age... only one passed while not in my hands. I had hand raised them since 2 weeks of age when I discovered Mom was not lactating (hairless female that came to me pregnant)

Rest assured that you have done all you can & it was simply her time to go

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about this, kancerr!

Could it have been a stroke that she must of had? You must take her to the vet, for that is best, and might be all you can do. Is one of her eyes closing? Could you post pictures for us please; it helps us help you alot better. Also, I recommend the vet because if she is really in a terrible position, he could call you up a subscription for antibiotics or medicine and that might help just a bit. Watch your baby every day... I don't think this can be contaigous to people; most rat sicknesses aren't.

A1APassion, the rat thankfully did not die, but she is asking for HELP to keep her poor baby alive.

Good luck, and keep Ratfoum posted!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
she did pass away. i took her to the vets about an 1.5 hours ago and had to put her down. ;[ no stroke, she had cancer and was gonna get spayed/tumors removed this friday. vet thinks something else was wrong with her. had to put her down ;[

·
Registered
468 Posts
Well I'm really so sorry to hear about your loss. You sound like a wonderful mom to her, though, and I'm sure she knew that you were with her. You did all you could do, so just be assured that she's happy and healthy and playing at the bridge now..and she'll be waiting on you. =)

Best wishes!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
i'm so sorry for your loss :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts