Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was sold an opposite sex pair of babies being told they were both girls. They were very happy together but I had 2 separate them bc one of them was a boy. I was going to keep the girl and surrender the boy, so I got her a female cage-mate. Ik rats scuffle when u put them in together but she was so aggressive to the new rat way beyond normal so I had to separate them too. Now I have three rats, all housed alone, and my small apartment is totally taken over by cages. does anyone have suggestions on what i should do? at this point i don't want to keep any of them.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Rat introductions often need to be done carefully and slowly.

There are lots of different techniques for safely introducing rats. I'd suggest taking some time to do some research. Every rat is different so different techniques will work better or worse for different rats. If what you're doing isn't working, don't be afraid to take a step back, go slower, or try something else entirely. Below are a number of resources for information on introduction techniques.

[Isamu Rats website] and Isamu Rat Care youtube video on [The Carrier Method].

[RatGuide page]

[RMCA article]

[JoinRats page]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rat introductions often need to be done carefully and slowly.

There are lots of different techniques for safely introducing rats. I'd suggest taking some time to do some research. Every rat is different so different techniques will work better or worse for different rats. If what you're doing isn't working, don't be afraid to take a step back, go slower, or try something else entirely. Below are a number of resources for information on introduction techniques.

[Isamu Rats website] and Isamu Rat Care youtube video on [The Carrier Method].

[RatGuide page]

[RMCA article]

[JoinRats page]
Hi, I haven't read all of these but I did read joinrats before introducing them. I first intro'd them by putting the male in another room and introducing them in a cage that actually "belonged" to the new rat who had been living there alone for a few days. She is smaller and I thought she needed an advantage and I gave the larger rat a small hide from her cage so she had somewhere to retreat. But she actually didn't care - she kicked the smaller rat out of her own bed, they scuffled a few times and then she pinned the smaller rat in a corner and was clearly getting ready to seriously attack her. The second time was in a neutral area (my couch) with leather gloves and she did the same thing but the other rat was squeaking really loudly. I'm really sure it is a bad idea to try again - it's not like they are uncomfortable around each other, the big rat seems to want to attack the small one. She was super bonded to the male she was housed with and I think she is naturally hormonal, pissed off from being separated even though it was a while ago, and doesn't want this this random other female anywhere near her.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Sometimes intros are quick and easy. Other times they can be difficult and can take a long time. My quickest intro lasted 10 minutes, the longest was a couple months. It required a lot of very brief encounters that slowly got longer as they became more comfortable around each other.

Recording their interactions and posting them here may yield better feedback.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts