Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've had my two babies for just a couple days now, but the closest to a bite I've gotten was a little scraping of the teeth when I forgot to wipe the cheeto dust off my finger before sticking it through the cage bars. Could've come out as a bit more than a scraping, but hey, they're too sweet to bite me! ( Feel free to quote the preceding statement when I come on here going 'My ratties bit me ;-; <33 )

Anyone have experiences with actually getting bitten that they want to share? Don't want to drum up any repressed memories here ^.^

-Tryxx

PS - Rats tongues are really soft!

PPS - Ratties really like cheeto dust!

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I've had some very nasty bites in the past - usually as a result of using my hands to break up rat fights. Ray - my latest bundle of pent up aggression - is very good at the number 3s. Although - it's usually my fault for winding him up or if I'm holding one of his brothers and he's feeling a bit jealous. He's gotten into the habit of running up to me - attacking my arm - then running off. Looking cute all the while, but you tell that to the big ole holes he leaves in me! Lol

He's the only real 'problem' rat I've ever had. The other boys have been known to bite, but that's only if they've been seriously wound up by another rat first.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I've only had #1 and another one not on the list. It's the mothers' "don't touch my babies" nip. My Waffle tried to defend one of her eepers and nipped me. It hurt, but didn't leave a mark, so I know it was just a warning. She's a great little Mom and you have to respect that!

·
Registered
506 Posts
I've only had two of my ratties bite me, one is the food thing and the other I'm not quite sure.He just walked up to me and bit my finger. It didn't smell like food or anything. lol I dunno what that was about.

·
Registered
264 Posts
i have had only one number 3.....i still want to cry thinking of it.......she bit me on the bone and cut me up bad.....it was my fault...but it was bruise for a week....

and then i think we all have had a number 1

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Two things to add to this conversation. The reason a rats bottom incisors can separate is that the bottom mandible is not joined like a human skull, but actually has cartilege that allows for the flexibility.

The other thing is the "aggressive" bite is often either slashing, or the *crunch* *crunch* where you feel them bite down a couple of times.

I have experienced all those bites :D I don't like getting bitten but I would rather my hand get injured than a much smaller rat who could be hurt sooo much more. I call it "taking the bite" if necessary.

Most rats do not bite like this. I take in some troubled rats at times and expect this from them.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I took in a rat from a girl I used to know, and he had some serious problems. Cage aggression, didn't like children, that whole thing.

I managed to escape a type 3 bite from him but I do have a scar from him scratching me.

Jake gets startled very easily when there is too much noise or too many people around him but he never bites me, he just grabs my hand tight and sniffs or noses my hand out of the way. Cutest thing, it is. :D

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have a rat who bits because she is jealous that I picked up one of her brother or sister-- she must think that I can only pick up her. She also bites when you restrict her from doing something.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
*looks at her hands - fresh bites and scars* Bites are an unfortunate side effect of rescuing. I don't even react now. :p Just wait until they release.

(I love ratballs.com! In fact, we adopted to her recently!!)

I want to echo lilspaz: "Most rats do not bite like this. I take in some troubled rats at times and expect this from them." Rats are not biters by nature.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Haha, Mimzy's only bit once. And I wasn't the victim, even though it was my fault, so I'm not sure what type it was. I wanted to take a closeup of her, but I had no idea someone had turned the flash on... I felt horrible : ( So she freaked out peed like there was no tomorrow, and when my friend tried to pick her up, she bit him. By the sound of my friend, it was a type tres.

·
Registered
69 Posts
ive only had the number one in my 6 years off owning rat! hope it stays that way too! hehe

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Had all three... all from the same rat...

I do love Perry. Most of the time. :lol:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
sigh....my Penny decided to bite me today but I hardly think it was 1, 2, or 3. She tends to nip when I clean her cage but she broke the skin today. Of course it didn't feel like more than a paper cut but still what a moody little rat lol. I think she was really sorry after though! :)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Ive only ever had the "are you food bite" , I also get another type of bite im surprised hasnt been mentioned , my littlest one nibbles my hand/fingers gently when im cleaning out the cage or getting her out.Im not sure what this is , maybe some kind of cleaning/social thing.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Gary26Uk said:
Ive only ever had the "are you food bite" , I also get another type of bite im surprised hasnt been mentioned , my littlest one nibbles my hand/fingers gently when im cleaning out the cage or getting her out.Im not sure what this is , maybe some kind of cleaning/social thing.
That's grooming, that's not really a bite. :)

·
Registered
730 Posts
Kimmiekins said:
*looks at her hands - fresh bites and scars* Bites are an unfortunate side effect of rescuing. I don't even react now. :p Just wait until they release.
Haha, yes, the joys of fostering pregnant/nursing moms too! My current foster has only scraped my knuckles a few times though, she hasn't had the chance to latch on (yet).

In the past 2 weeks I've been nibbled by babies, CHOMPED by my Remy, and grazed (and had blood drawn) twice from Momma rat. In that same time Remy has also claimed two other victims. It's a good thing he's cute :p.

Ahhh, the joys of rat ownership, huh?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Remy looks like he means business in your signature. Almost like he's saying, "Yeah, I'm good looking but I gotta do what I gotta do ladies!" :)

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Why did I read this thread *whines*

I was helping a friend with her first abscess last night, a nasty one on her boys cheek who hates to be restrained. almost got me a few times. I go home and break up a fight between the subbie of the cage and the alpha...Asha the subbie normally lays her teeth on me in her agitation (I have done this many times) this time she sunk her teeth into my hand and wouldn't let go...:roll:

Weirdest thing is it barely bled, so I assume it was bleeding deep into the tissue since it swelled up like this. These pics just show where she got me and how much meat she bit thru LOL

bottom

This was right afterwards, you should see the swelling this morning. Ice, ibuprofen and sleeping in between 2 pillows so that my hand could be elevated..heehee
She was very sorry afterwards :roll:

·
Registered
730 Posts
oh Shelagh, that's the way it always seems to happen, isn't it? I hope your hand is feeling better soon!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts